We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

Does anyone know of a tour that goes from LA to Yosemite to San Francisco? I'd like to spend 2-3 nights in Yosemite.

I'm travelling at the beginning of December

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,515 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

There are tours from SF to Yosemite -- Extranomical or Incredible Adventures or others. The SF forum Top Questions have a list of them. You can fly to SF or the best way is to rent a car and drive the coast between LA and SF.

Green Tortoise may have tours as well

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

Not everything in Yosemite is accessible in Winter. Since you're planning on traveling in December, you should check out info on winter closures.

www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/winter.htm

I'm not sure how many tours operate in the winter.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 22:16
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

Thanks for the advice and useful source. Will definitely have to look into the areas that are open.

Initially we were looking at traveling with Amtrak bus/train service from Los Angeles to Yosemite and staying for 2-3 nights, then taking Amtrak to San Francisco. But I was wondering if there was a tour that did a one-way LA to San Francisco, stopping in Yosemite.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,949 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

Someone asked a similar question, and the only tour that one of the L.A. folks could think of is a "tour" that uses Amtrak.

In December, your idea of building your own trip with Amtrak can work pretty well. The high country roads (Tioga Road and Glacier Point Road) will probably be closed so you won't miss having a car to drive up there. Yosemite Valley is always open and there will be enough for you to do & see for two days (three days if you want some longer hikes.) Be sure to read the December Trip Reports in the Top Questions so you know what to expect.

Note that the only public transit into Yosemite is actually the YARTS bus from Merced. Amtrak offers it as part of their package to Yosemite Valley, but it's a different service.

You need to stay in the Valley with public transit, or maybe outside the Park on Hwy 140 if you're using YARTS. Other locations won't work.

5. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 May 2013, 22:56
LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

No advertising allowed, SA.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

Sorry Pareo. I missed the part in the guidelines about posting links. Otherwise, my post seems to conform to the gudelines set by TA.

-Aaron, from Southwest Adventures

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

Aaron here from Southwest Adventures,

We offer one-way trips to Yosemite from LA to SF, but only from May-October. I am not aware of any companies that offer similar trips in the winter months, but there is a company that operates year round out of Bakersfield.

As mentioned earlier, there are a number of options available round-trip from SF.

9. Re: 3-4 Day Tour From Los Angeles to Yosemite to San Francisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 06:18