We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX area hotels with Asian foods

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
LAX area hotels with Asian foods

Hello Helper,

I have about 24 hours layover in LAX and I do not plan to venture out far. I am looking for convenience and food varieties, best if Asian choices, during my short stay.

Therefore, the idea hotel/location will be a hotel with free shuttle bus to LAX, plus with walking distance accessible to variety of foods. It will be an added bonus if there is a nearby attraction that can kill my layover time too. Would me mind letting me know if there exists such a location or hotel?

Many Thanks!

Sean

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

The short answer is "NO". There is no such hotel adjacent to LAX that has those features. Staying near the airport is, frankly. the last thing I'd want to do since it's so isolated and so ugly. That said, if you're determined not to take a shuttle to a better area ($15), then, here is a suggestion:

The Custom Hotel: Free airport shuttle, NOT located along ugly Century Bl -- where most of the other hotels are located -- but rather in a residential neighborhood with a market nearby (with take out food) and a number of restaurants within walking distance (including a hotel restaurant). Here's a map of the hotel's location along with the nearby dining options:

http://mapq.st/13czG4h

(Note: #9 is a Thai restaurant).

As far as something to do during your layover, you can take the #3 RAPID BUS north on Lincoln Bl (the bus pulls up across the street from the hotel) into either Venice or (beyond that), Santa Monica. Santa Monica is preferred as there's more to do there and the #3 bus will drop you in the center of the city whereas if you visit Venice, you'll need to get off the #3 and take another (short) bus ride into the center of Venice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,905 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

The Custom is a great hotel.

The other hotel I'd look at away from the airport is the Hilton Garden Inn El Segundo. That has some decent restaurants around it and it has a shuttle.

No shuttle, but a cheap cab ride is the Marriott Manhattan Beach. It is on a golf course and has some very nice restaurants close by and a large theater complex too.

Pacific Northwest...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

"Asian choices"? That's like asking about places to eat with "European choices". Spanish; Greek; Polish are all "European".

What specific "Asian" food are you looking for?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

You didn't state your budget for a hotel, but the Crimson Hotel in Manhattan Beach has rooms at about $80+ tax, AND, Free LAX Airport Transportation Available 6am - 9 PM.

http://www.crimsonhotelmb.com/

Across the street is our favorite, Thai Dishes, voted #1 in the South Bay.

http://www.thaidishesmb.com/

Also across from the hotel is O-Sho Sushi:

www.o-shosushi.com/o-shosushi/Home.html

A block away is KAH Asian Restaurant on MB Blvd.

http://www.kahasianrestaurant.com/

Around the hotel are Cuban, Indian, Mexican, as well as a Target on the corner that has a grocery section.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

Honestly, in this situation, if Asian food is your priority, I'd look somewhere other than LAX - transportation won't be free, but for Asian food etc. you can do much better than what's available nearby to any airport hotel without going too far from LAX.

My first choice would be to try and stay somewhere near the intersection of Olympic Blvd. and Sawtelle Blvd. in West LA. Sawtelle Blvd. north of this intersection is an absolute mecca for various sorts of Asian food - tons of good choices here. The hotels in this area aren't really too exciting, but one choice would be the Holiday Inn Express West LA on Santa Monica Blvd., which would be about a half mile walk to where all of the restaurants are. Transportation options to get here would be about $35 taxi ride, $15 shared van shuttle ride, or free shuttle bus at LAX then Culver City Bus #6 to Sepulveda Blvd. and Santa Monica Blvd., then a short walk on Santa Monica to this hotel.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 14:10
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

One other thought would be to take the FlyAway bus from LAX to Union Station in downtown LA (30-45 minutes, $7 per person). Union Station is right next to both the Little Tokyo area and to Chinatown (both are one stop away from Union Station on the Gold Line light rail train, lots of Japanese / Chinese restaurants in these areas), is across the street from Olvera St. (sort of touristy area - site of the first Mexican settlement that eventually became Los Angeles), and has subway/light rail connections to places like Hollywood and Pasadena, and downtown LA, so you wouldn't be bored at all if you stayed here. Depending on budget, some nearby options would be the downtown LA Doubletree, Best Western Dragon Gate Inn, and the Metro Plaza Hotel. If budget is higher, there are some nicer hotels in downtown LA near the subway stations over there, which all connect back to Union Station.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

"What specific "Asian" food are you looking for?"

Ziggy, I am good with any Asian food, more authentic the better. Thai, Vietnam, Chinese, Malaysia, Korean, Indian, Japan (typically too expensive though). Spicy/Non-Spicy all welcome. Thanks.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 16:40
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
74 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

Thanks helpers.

Anyone think of Double Tree at Los Angeles - Westside -- 6161 West Centinela Avenue, Culver City, California, 90230-6306, USA

Just called to verify that it has shuttle bus service, and it is close to 2 malls --The Promenade at Howard Hughes Center, and Westfield Culver City (formerly Fox Hills Mall). Check out www.latourist.com/index.php…

Any thoughts of this choice Double Tree?

Thanks.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

What are the 24 hours involved (i.e., what's your arrival and departure time)? Even if you stay near LAX (we've stayed there and gotten bargains in nice hotels, especially using Hotwire or Priceline; more of an incentive if you have an early morning departure), you could take the Flyaway bus to Union Station downtown LA., and go to Little Tokyo, etc. But, as noted, your description of the type of food you want is very vague. What type of Asian? And what kind of restaurant? Fancy? Fast food? Hole-in-the-wall-but-authentic?

You also don't say what you want to do during the 24 hours other than have a meal at an Asian restaurant.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX area hotels with Asian foods

I would pass on the Doubletree - The only Asian food nearby is going to be at the two malls - at one (Fox Hills) its just food court type Asian food (i.e. Panda Express and similar) - at the other (Howard Hughes Center), there's a decent Japanese restaurant but not sure if you want Japanese and frankly you're going to be in LA which has great Asian food options - that's not really one of them and the only things you can walk to from Doubletree are those two malls. Public transit access there really isn't that good either.