We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours from LAX airport

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Tours from LAX airport

Dear fellow tripadvisor members,

Does anyone know of tours which can be taken from LAX airport for a few hours. We will be arriving at 11:10 and leaving for our international flight at 19:35. Therefore a 4-5 hour tour would be ideal. I don't want it to be too expensive max maybe $75-$80 per hour.

We will have our luggage with us.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Lisa

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,512 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Hire a car, put your luggage in the boot and 'self tour'.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Hi Hopskipjump,

Thank you so much for your tip - Infact that is quite a good idea!

Any tips on where to go? Also I heard that the traffic is quite bad in Los Angeles - when do you think we should leave for the airport in order to avoid rush hour traffic?

Thanks a million for your advice!

Lisa

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Check and see if Starline's tour from the airport.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Some of the Star Line tours will work - www.starlinetours.com - note however that they do not pick up from the airport terminals, but do pick up from most of the nearby airport hotels. However, I'd not want to have to deal with having my luggage with me on one of these tours.

I would take HopSkipJump's advice to get your own car and go somewhere quick - realistically you aren't going to have a lot of time. For an outbound international flight you want to be back at LAX about 3 hours before hand, which puts you back at the airport around 4:30PM. I would figure around 1 hour to de-plane, collect your luggage, get a shuttle to a rental car company, collect your car and be on your way. That puts you in the 12:00 - 12:30 time frame, by the time you hit the road, most likely, leaving you about four hours to go somewhere and come back. In that amount of time, the usual suggestions would be to head to the pier in Manhattan Beach, or perhaps head to the pier / beach area in Santa Monica, get some lunch at the 3rd St. Promenade outdoor shopping center, and head back to LAX.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 14:37
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
57 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your advice - very helpful.

Also I found this link which I hope will help others in a similar situation too.

www.latourist.com/index.php…

All the very best

Lisa

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours from LAX airport

I would expect that Starline has the issue of luggage for their LAX tours. I would contact them to confirm they hold it for you or you leave it with the bell man where you get the tour.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,512 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Starline only has a morning tour departing from the airport area (9 a.m.).

Grayline has an afternoon tour that departs from their tour center in Santa Monica at 1:30 pm. and returns to the Santa Monica Tour Center at 5:30 pm. which is too late for the OP to make her international connection.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,628 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours from LAX airport

I would get the car and the only thing you really have time for is the coastal area, look at cities like Venice Beach, Santa Monica and maybe a drive up the Coast Highway through Mailbu.

Figure 1 1/2 hour drive time, 2 hours to look around at a couple of stops and leave time from dropping off the car.

http://goo.gl/maps/hNXFv

Drop your family/companion at the terminal and you return the car alone. It will be easier and faster to grab the shuttle bus back with no luggage.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Glitterati Tours does a fantastic job!

Have fun!!

http://glitteratitours.com/tours/

Edited: 17 March 2014, 16:55
los angeles
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours from LAX airport

Dont do the rental car; it will take way too long for pick up and drop off to make it worthwhile. There are no car rental facilities on site at LAX. All of the car rental facilities are off-site which means you have to wait for shuttle at LAX and get driven over to the rental car place. Expect at least 10-15 min ride after you leave LAX to get to any of the car rental places. Riding the shuttle through LAX can take more than 1/2 hour depending on traffic inside airport and how many people are getting picked up by the shuttle.

The better choice is to hop into a cab on the arrival level of LAX and take a ride down to Manhattan Beach pier. Many choices right around pier for beach, shopping and eating. Make arrangements with taxi driver to return in couple hours to pick you up from pier and back to LAX. Will be cheaper than renting a car and definitely give you more time to enjoy.