We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another dumb question - About Parking

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Another dumb question - About Parking

You can see I am quite new to this.

How does parking payment work in LA?

Do you take a ticket on entrance and pay a guy cash at exit? Or is it common to use a machine to pay on exit?

How do you pay valet parking? So for example W Westwood says Valet Parking per day is USD 38.50, do you pay upfront? or when you collect the car? What if I enter and exit multiple times? Do I tip the valet each time? How much is a valet tip in LA?

Thanks in advance guys.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another dumb question - About Parking

The simple answer is, it depends.

For parking in a parking lot, normally you take a ticket when you enter the lot. These days its fairly common that you have to pay at a machine before you go back to your car, by inserting your ticket into the machine and then paying either cash or with credit card. Your ticket is then returned to you and you insert it in the ticket recepticle at the parking lot exit. However, though its becoming rarer, some parking lots still have human attendants, in which case you will take a ticket either from them or from a machine when you enter the lot, but to exit the lot you drive to the exit, hand them your ticket and then pay them cash.

Street parking is a different story - it may be free, but it may be metered. These days most meters will accept credit cards, but sometimes you'll still encounter meters that only accept coins. Also, sometimes there are not meters at each space, but instead centralized pay stations / machines every 10-20 spaces or so, where you'd normally pay with cash or credit card, after telling the machine the number of the parking space that you are paying for. Its important to look out for these machines and pay attention to the signs on the streets, because when there are central pay stations there won't be a meter at your individual parking space and its easy to overlook that there's a pay station - which can result in you finding a parking citation and a fine on your windshield when you return to your vehicle.

For valet parking, normally you just give your car to your valet at which time they give you a claim ticket for your car. When you're ready to leave, you give them your claim ticket and pay them the parking fee at that time. They will then bring your car to you, at which point its customary to tip the person who returned your car to you a few dollars.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,306 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another dumb question - About Parking

It's not a dumb question at all. Unfortunately as MachThree said, there is no simple answer. Different parking lots or structures or street parking may have different methods of payment. There are even situations where you pay a set fee on entry into a lot, and then no one guards the exit. This is most common for special events parkings.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,827 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another dumb question - About Parking

Often at hotels, they tell you the amount of valet parking fee per day, and add it to your credit card at check out.

I tip the valet when he brings the car to me to go out, nothing when I return it to the hotel. Some people will say $2 is fine for a tip each time, but often it can be $3-4 or 5 dollars depending if you are at a fancy restaurant

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,550 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another dumb question - About Parking

Some unattended lots have a system where you stuff money into a numbered slot that matches the numbered parking spot you used. (Usually for flat-rate parking, rather than timed.)

And I don't know if they have this scam in LA, but in San Francisco there are thieves that will pretend to be the attendants at an otherwise unattended (automated) lot, and collect the fee in cash (this is especially true for flat-rate, special-event parking). They collect from as many people as they can, then take the money and run. When the operator of the lot comes around, your car isn't documented in the automated system as paid, so you get ticketed or towed. If the lot signage says, "Pay machine only", I'd do that, regardless of what the attendant says.

Some restaurants will allow you to put the valet charge on your dinner bill (not the tip, though). And a few restaurant valets require pre-payment.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another dumb question - About Parking

Thanks all for your answers. Really Appreciated

6. Re: Another dumb question - About Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:16