We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area/hotel to stay for 5 nights?

Richmond Hill...
1 post
Save Topic
Which area/hotel to stay for 5 nights?

I'm planning to be in LA from July 2-7th. I will be renting a car as well as i'll be driving from Vegas. It will just be for my gf and I and our budget would be $200 a night. I don't mind driving around as I would like to be visit areas like Disneyland Anaheim, Santa Monica, Malibu.

Currently, looking at LA dt and everything seems pretty expensive after parking. If there's any area with nicer 4+ stars hotel that someone's bid for please let me know too. :D

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area/hotel to stay for 5 nights?

When you are at Disneyland, stay the night in Anaheim. It is at least an hour from downtown in heavy traffic. More if you stay further west.

Take a look in Little Tokyo which is in downtown. There's a couple of nice properties on First Street.

For sure take a look at Hollywood, which tends to be the least expensive.

Another option is downtown Culver City. The Culver Hotel is fun and the downtown area is quite lively. There's also a great B&B in Culver City which I can't remember the name of.

What exactly are you planning to do in Malibu?

HTH

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area/hotel to stay for 5 nights?

You are picking a popular Holiday weekend, where traffic will be heavy, no matter where you go.

Is there a reason you are looking at Santa Monica and Malibu as beach cities?

There are plenty in Orange County that are similar. You can base yourself in the area, and cut back on the driving and have more time to do things, instead of sitting in traffic.

Places like Huntington Beach, which has a large 4th of July celebration

www.surfcityusa.com

Newport Beach is the closest beach area to Disneyland, and is very nice.

www.visitnewportbeach.com.com

Here is the area's main tourism website.

www.visittheoc.com

As for finding a 4 star at your budget, I would head to Hotwire.com and check out your options and pricing. Since you have a car, it doesn't matter exactly which hotel you get. Note, the Hotwire final price will include taxes, but the Hotel will more than likely add on a parking fee and charge for WiFi directly (aka extra).

The Garden Grove area is the main location for the 4 star Hotels in the Disneyland area, but it is inland.

The Huntington Beach options would be right by the ocean, some of the Newport Beach options might be a bit away from the water, but still close.

Hope that helps.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area/hotel to stay for 5 nights?

$200 is rarely a realistic budget for 4-star hotels,at least not near central LA (areas like Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Santa Monica) - summer in general is high season in LA and plus your trip is centered around the 4th of July, which is an extra popular time. Most hotels charge for parking (figure $20-40 per night), and figure 14-15% room tax on top of the advertised room rate. Checking www.kayak.com for your dates, I see a few possibilities - the Omni hotel in downtown LA, which is a very nice hotel, for $152/nt, and the Kimpton Palomar hotel in Westwood for $172 / nt - Westwood is just outside of Santa Monica and in general is quite central. Although I'd not suggest staying there (not very central and a dull area), there are often great deals to be had at airport hotels at LAX, many of which are 4-stars.

You'll want to split up your stay, most likely, as Anaheim (Disney) is an hour south of LA - so stay in Anaheim the days you go to Disney and somewhere in the central LA area for the remainder. Don't stay in Anaheim or Orange County the whole time if you want to visit LA - as mentioned, these places are far from LA - 45-60 minute drives to the LA area when traffic is good, longer when traffic is bad, which it usually is.

4. Re: Which area/hotel to stay for 5 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:16