We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do you think of this itinerary?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
what do you think of this itinerary?

TA is always so helpful, maybe you can see something about this itinerary that I don't know, never having been to LA before. We are traveling with a teenager, and her requests are to hike to the Hollywood sign and go to Universal Studios. I thought she'd also enjoy a bus tour to the stars' homes and, of course, you must fit shopping in there.

We arrive on a Friday night. On Saturday, I thought we'd do the star homes bus tour and generally see around the Hollywood and Highland area (which I think will be walking distance from our hotel, the Orchid Suites). Then we would go to the Getty Center. Then plan to arrive at the Griffith Observatory just before sunset. So, that brings up a question -- what time should we leave Getty Center?

On Sunday, we plan to take a scenic drive, as outlined here on TA, and then spend the day into sunset at Santa Monica Pier/Venice Beach.

On Monday, we are going to Universal Studios.

On Tuesday, we would hike to the Hollywood sign, then go to the Grove Shopping Center/Farmers Market before catching our return flight.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

In general, your itinerary looks fine.

Leave the Getty when you feel like it. Give yourself at least an hour to get to the Griffith Observatory. I'd recommend entering the park via the Western/Los Feliz entrance which is closer actually closer and more scenic. Park alongside the approach road since it is actually more scenic.

Don't bother hiking to the Hollywood sign. You can't.

I notice downtown isn't on your itinerary, which seems like a major oversight. At minimum, it sounds like the Grammy Museum might be of interest.

HTH

Culver City...
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

What time you should leave the Getty to see the sunset at Griffith Park depends on what time of year you are coming. Obviously the sun sets earlier in the winter and later in the summer. It will generally take you about 45 minutes to an hour to get from one place to the other.

Hiking in the hills is fun, but if it's summer time, you will be awfully sweaty before heading out to the airport. A horseback ride in the hills might be fun, too.

Have a wonderful trip!

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

HitchKennedy, when I said that we would catch our return flight on Tuesday night, I apparently should have said that actually my husband is heading home, but my daughter and I are staying at the LA Athletic Club for a few days before we head home. She will be doing a three-day program at FIDM, and they have a corresponding parent program. FIDM reps will be showing us all around downtown LA.

As for the hike to the Hollywood sign, we do plan to head out early morning before it is too hot. I got the directions here on TA, and my daughter really wants to try it. She realizes the closest we will get is about 100 feet.

Thanks for the suggestion on how long it will take to get to the Getty Center; that was my question, and I have noted your approach and parkiing suggestions in my travel notes.

ChicagoVixen, to me a horseback ride does not sound fun, ha ha. My daughter is a rider and would love it, but I think I will let that suggestion pass me right by. :) Thanks, anyway.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

FYI, the hike to the sign: in addition to the fact that you can't hike all the way to the sign, you'll be hiking to a vantage point behind the sign so the sign will be backwards and slightly below you. You might also want to drive to a vantage point in front of the sign. Directions for doing this is in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page. Here's a shortcut:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c174983/Los-An…

As far as your Saturday Itinerary is concerned, I'd switch things around: Go to the Getty first, then the Celebrity tour, then the Observatory. This is for several reasons:

a. In general, I like to travel to the furthest point and then make my way back to the hotel. This way, if I run short of time, I can push the closest attraction to another day (in this case, the Star's Home Tour which runs every 30 minutes all day long).

b. The length of the tour is predictable 1 hour, 45 minutes to 2 hours whereas your visit to the Getty is not predictable so you'll know when to return from the Getty since you'll know how long you'll need for the tour.

I'm not really certain why you're going to the Observatory unless you plan to look through the telescope on the roof of the building, plan to visit the observatory or plan to go to a Planetarium show. If not -- and all you want to do is see the sunset, the Getty offers a wonderful view of the sunset albeit from a different part of the city.

If you still want to see the Observatory, you can do it on Monday after visiting Universal which, imo, is not a 'whole day affair' like Disneyland would be and it's a lot closer to the Observatory by car than the Getty is.

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

HopSkipJump, I admire your willingness to help everybody on this forum. Your responses are always well thought out and thorough. Thanks! I am in the middle of cooking dinner right now, but wanted to tell you that I will consider each of these points and make note of your suggestions.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

Observatory is closed Monday.

By "scenic drive" are you referring to Sunset Blvd, west to the beach, and then to Santa Monica? If so, you'll be passing with a mile of the Getty Center. You might be able to find time for a couple of hours there on Sunday. You won't need all day-- it is fun to walk around the grounds and admire the views of the coastline and city, walk in the special garden in the back, and then "cherry pick" the art galleries for a few things you are interested in seeing.

usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

I typed a reply, but I guess it didn't post.

Pasca, yes, the scenic drive we are referring is exactly as you mention it. So I will make note of the fact that we will be so close to the Getty, and maybe that works better.

HopSkipJump, my daughter really wants to do that Hollywood Sign hike, but I will mention to her that we can see it from many different places and angles, and perhaps that will suit her. And I did not realize that the Getty would also be a good place to see sunset, so that is very helpful.

All noted, and we shall see how it all goes when we get there. Flexibility is key on vacation, too. Thanks for all your help!

8. Re: what do you think of this itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:16