We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers-sights to see?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
first timers-sights to see?

We will be going to the LA area for the first time. What are the things that you feel we should defintely do? I would greatly appreciate your input.Thank-you so much.

Here is what we have so far:

Warner Brothers Studio Tour

Stars Walk of Fame

Grauman's Chinese Theater

Movie Star homes Tour (thinking about LA Tours?)

Mullholland Drive

Hollywood sign

Beverly Hills/ Rodeo Drive

Olvera Street

Sunset Blvd.

Melrose

ChinaTown

Knotts Berry Farm

Santa Monica Pier

Venice Beach

Disney

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers-sights to see?

Some important attractions you are missing are the Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, Grammy Museum at LA Live, Farmer's Market/The Grove, Disney Concert Hall, and Our Lady of the Angels Cathedral. In general, downtown is very much missing from list. I find Venice Beach over-rated at this time.

It would be helpful if you told us something of your interests.

HTH

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers-sights to see?

OK, the Chinese Theater is known officially known as the "TCL Chinese Theater", same location at the Hollywood and Highland Center, same hand/foot prints, just a new sponsor.

www.hollywoodandhighland.com

A good discounted package of Hollywood attractions, including a Stars Home Tour is at this link.

www.citypass.com/hollywood

Take advantage of the Starline Tours Hop On/Hop Off buses tours to see many of the sites.

I would pass on the Venice Beach/Santa Monica part of your list, and instead head to Long Beach, Huntington Beach and/or Newport Beach.

Not sure when you are coming, but you might to enjoy both Knott's Berry Farm and its sister park, Knott's Soak City (Water park). Also, the Disneyland Resort consists of two Theme Parks. And there are plenty of other things to do in the Anaheim/Orange County area. I would want to split your stay, and have two different Hotels, one in the Hollywood area, and another in the Anaheim/Garden Grove area.

www.visittheoc.com

The Getty Center is an overrated Art Museum with some nice views (outdoors) of the area, but IMHO, if you head to the Griffith Observatory, no need to go to the Getty Center, which is currently a bit of a pain to get to due to freeway construction.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers-sights to see?

For more ideas see here

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g32655-l216-Los_Angele…

also under Top Questions there is a lot of good information put together by the DEs

Of course it is all personal opinion and what your interests are, not everyone wants to go to the Grammy Museum, see the stars' homes, or visit Long Beach (or Venice for that matter).

Edited: 09 June 2013, 15:33
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers-sights to see?

Drop Chinatown from the list! In fact the Chinese American museum isn't even IN Chinatown. There are many interesting sights downtown but this wouldn't be in the top 10 on my list. In addition to the Disney Concert Hall, Olvera Street, and new Cathedral, you could add Union Station (across Alameda from Olvera), Philippes restaurant, Little Tokyo and the Japanese American Museum, the LA City Hall (weekdays only), the Caltrans Building, Bunker Hill and the "Independence Day" tower, LA Library, Angel's Flight, Broadway with Grand Central and Bradbury Building (they may or may not let you inside more than the lobby).

If you go to Every Trail you will find a number of free walking tours that you can print out or download to smartphone. Mix and match.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers-sights to see?

Take a look at sample itineraries on the right side of your screen, and sample day trips.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers-sights to see?

Thank-you for your replies. I appreciate it.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers-sights to see?

Be careful using the Trip Ideas to the right, they are mostly 5 or more years old and just lists put together by random people. The Top Questions get an annual review by the Destination Experts and are more up to date.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,228 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers-sights to see?

Well, as far as your list of attractions is concerned, be aware that many of the places on your list are outside of the sprawling city of Los Angeles (and its immediate metro area). Here's a cartoon map that you might find helpful:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

Let's look at your map and your list of attractions. I've re-ordered your list for clarity:

In the IMMEDIATE Los Angeles area:

Warner Brothers Studio Tour (just to the north of central L.A.)

Mullholland Drive (Northern edge of central LA)

Hollywood sign/Movie Star homes Tour/Chinese Theater /Walk of Fame (Hollywood -- central L.A.)

Boutique shopping along Melrose Av / Beverly Hills/ Rodeo Drive / Sunset Strip (central LA)

ChinaTown / Olvera Street (downtown LA -- EAST of central LA)

Santa Monica Pier / Venice Beach (west of Central LA)

Knotts Berry Farm (In the city of Buena Park in Orange County -- 35 mins southeast of downtown LA)

Disneyland (In Anaheim in Orange County -- 40 minutes SE of downtown LA)

The two theme parks will each take a day so if you've decided to go to these, half of your time is already used up. Santa Monica/Venice is also a day. Which leaves you only one day. If it were me, I'd drop Disneyland (you know you really don't want to go there but you THINK you have to) and go to Knotts (much less expensive, closer to Los Angeles, better food, less commercial, less crowded).

Then, you'll have 3 free days to play with.

Happy planning!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers-sights to see?

HopSkipJump,

You are fantastic. Thank-you so much for all of your assistance! That is so helpful! :)

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timers-sights to see?

If you like Chinese food and do Olivera Street on a Sunday morning, consider going to Chinatown, to one of the restaurants that serve Dim Sum (a unique chance to sample a lot of different foods). If you like gardens, consider going to Huntington Library (a huge garden with bizarre cactuses) in San Marino, and then checking out the nearby mansions. If you like museums, you might try the La Brea tar pits, they are unique to LA and have a lot of interesting museums near them. I liked the Warner Brothers Tour and the Griffith Park Observatory after dark.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 07:07