We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

We arrive at LAX on a summer Saturday at 10:30am and are staying in Santa Monica that night. I'd like to take a quick hike in Malibu Creek State Park but am concerned about the traffic Saturday afternoon on the PCH. Google says it's 19 mi./30 minutes each way. Do you think summer weekend traffic would add more than 20 minutes each way?

We could do the hike early Sunday morning instead, but that day is getting filled up with other plans. Thanks

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

You'll hit traffic for sure and since Los Angelenos don't get up on Saturday until 10:00, you'll hit the lion's share of the traffic on your way TO and from Malibu. I'd estimate 20 to 30 minutes of 'extra time', each way. for traffic.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 18:32
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

Your concern is warranted. I think your plan is unrealistic if you hope to avoid traffic on PCH. My MO when I lived in Brentwood was to get to Zuma Beach (north end of Malibu) by 10 a.m. I'd head home after about 3 hours (depending on the surf). This would enable me to avoid the outbound and then inbound traffic crush. Yes, beach traffic is bad on summer weekends.

You might want to come up with an alternate plan.

HTH

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,362 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

Saturday beach traffic is generally lighter than on Sundays. Just go; at the least you will enjoy the view of the Pacific Ocean along the way!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

That's a traffic nightmare, sorry. I would head up Sunday morning when there's no traffic and it's cooler temps. Anyway, it will be too hot on Saturday afternoon for a hike, and that's also when the rattle snakes are out.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

I will never drive through LA on a summer weekend ever, ever again (and that was I5->405->101 ... can't imagine the he!! that was PCH).

Well, after 11AM that is. I came through last Sunday morning (left Paso before 7AM) and hit NO traffic through LA and Orange counties. I couldn't believe my luck.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 00:44
6. Re: Pacific Coast Highway on a summer Saturday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 06:17