We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Hi guys,

I live in Montréal (canada) and it will be my first trip to California with family (wife, teen and a baby).

I'll stay 3 nights in july and I'm looking for an hotel at les than 100$/night with free breakfast, free parking. I precise that I will rent a car for all the trip. What good hotel could you suggest me? I don't know precisely what we want to see in LA.

Thank you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,901 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

There is no such thing as a hotel for less than $100/night during the height of tourist season, let alone for that price with free breakfast and free parking. It simply does not exist, sorry.

Raise your budget by at LEAST $75/night, but drop the expectation of free anything. At this late date (we're in July), the hotels that are affordable and include breakfast (but usually not parking) are most likely booked. But, you could get lucky and find a cancellation. Look in Hollywood, where rates are lowest, and a few hotels (like Holiday Inn Express) include breakfast.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

$100 in LA is a motel, at best. You'll need to up your budget most likely. The only alternative is to try a blind bidding site like Hotwire or Priceline, then you might get something in the $100 range. Be aware if you are finding places in LA for $100 that's not a blind bid, it's almost certainly poorly located, possibly quite far from everything, or a motel type property. Also, most hotels charge for parking.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Motel is OK for me. Do you think I have to go outside LA? Is it realist or it's better to pay much more?

TY

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,435 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Well, that's up to you. Our city is GIGANTIC. If you stay in Hollywood, you'll do a lot of driving. If you stay OUTSIDE of the city, you'll do even MORE driving. With a baby, I would think you'd want to avoid long drives, especially if you're stuck in traffic.

You need to come up with an itinerary. If, for example, you plan to spend 2 days at Disneyland, that theme park is outside of the city of L.A. as well as its county. So, in that case, you'd be better off staying near DL in the city of Anaheim. You should select your hotel after you decide which attractions you'll be visiting.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

OK guys, messages well received. Thank you for the help

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,696 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Fabien, I agree that it would be a good idea to figure out your general sightseeing itinerary before selecting a hotel. Disneyland? Knotts? Hollywood? Beaches? Getty Museums and other museums? Etc. All these would suggest different locales for hotels.

That said, I don't think you should be discouraged about finding a decent place within tolerable driving distance of your sightseeing destinations. $100 might be difficult, but if you can raise it to $125 (before tax), there will be quite a few decent motels available.

Look at websites for chains such as Comfort Inn, Travelodge, Best Western and similar. Then, check the reviews on sites such as Expedia or Tripadvisor. With Tripadvisor reviews, be careful to actually read the reviews, and be very wary of any hotel with lots of "1 review" reviewers... as lots of hotel owners post a multitude of rave reviews about their hotels. Expedia reviews are more reliable as you can't write one unless you booked that hotel and paid for it on Expedia. The very cheapest hotels will TEND to be in extremely outlying areas or bad neighborhoods. Try to avoid hotels located in very inconvenient places like West Covina, Santa Clarita, Woodland Hills, Simi Valley, etc.

In fact, come back to us with specific hotel possibilites and we can evaluate the locations for you.

Here's just one possiblity, if your itinerary includes Universal, Griffith Park and Hollywood:

comfortinn.com/hotel-los_angeles-california-…

It is in the hip community of Eagle Rock, with lots of coffee houses and popular/trendy restaurants nearby.

Very close to Old Pasadena, Glendale, Griffith Park. Easy drive to Universal, Hollywood. Farther from the beach. But frankly, with a car, you can drive places just like we do. Just don't stay way out, or you'll be doing a 1.5 hour commute to get anywhere.

I'm sure there are dozens of places just as good and well located.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Hi Pasca,Thx for your god advices. I'm really budget limited so right now my main concern is the hotel price. If I have to drive more it will be. We won't go to universal or disney parks, we want to walk and see places like walk of fame, street of beverly hills. In 2 days I can't see many things I know that.

For the motels/hotels, I can't go in a dirty place, with bedbugs, with a 11 months baby.

What LA neighborhood is not to far from this kind of activities?

I can get a good price at the Sheraton Agoura Hills Hotel, what do you think of this area?

TY

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Sheraton Agoura Hills is fine for a family but no free breakfast and the breakfast will be expensive at the hotel. Also be sure you check for "extra person" charges or baby crib charges. . You will be driving quite a distance to most attractions, 45-90 minutes, and will not be able to go anywhere until after 10am and will need to avoid going back to the hotel between 4:30 and 7:30pm nightly.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 01:18
United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

Check the rates at Best Western Carriage Inn in Sherman Oaks and the Extended Stay America in Glendale/Burbank. Are you flying in to LAX airport or will you be driving into Los Angeles? From where, north or south?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: LA, Hotel 3 nights, family with a baby?

I have a special price for this hotel so I could have the breakfast included for a good price. It may be too far from attractions :(

I'm flying from Montreal (Canada), so from north, to LAX.

Thank you