We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

Hi all!

I'm participating in a volunteer conservation project on Catalina Island and was looking for the best way to get to and from the ferry terminal (as the public transport I've looked up seems like it'll be three trains/buses).

The two trips I'm need to organise are:

1. Monday - Hollywood to Catalina ferry terminal at Long Beach - arrive before 1pm

2. Friday - Catalina ferry terminal to West Hollywood - departing at 5/530pm

So is it best to catch public transport (as I'm on a budget) and have it take a couple of hours to get from A to B, or is a shuttle or cab a better option, and how much should it cost? (FYI I won't have a car)

Thanks!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

Use the LA Metro System. The Red Line Subway to the Blue Line Rail to Long Beach.

The take the free Long Beach Passport bus to the Catalina Express Terminal.

www.metro.net

http://www.lbtransit.com/

With one person, just go for the public transit, the way to Long Beach would be $ 4 (2 $1.50 single fares and a $1 rechargeable TAP card), on the way back, just $3 using the TAP card you got on Monday.

http://www.metro.net/riding/fares/

You are looking at around $50 round trip, maybe more using a Taxi or Shared Shuttle Van.

So bring your electronic device fully charged, or just buy an old fashioned paper back. They are great for being near the water, etc... ;)

Hope that helps.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

Which terminal? There's more than one.

Is there anyway you can contact other volunteers in this project? Possibly you could hitch a ride with them or share the expense.

Have you considered taking public transit so far and then taking a taxi for the final part of the trip? For example, if you're in Hollywood, take the Red Line to 7th & Fig station. Transfer to the Blue Line. Take the Blue line to Long Beach. From LB, catch a cab the final stretch. Again, the question is where are you catching the ferry to Catalina?

Also, where in Hollywood and West Hollywood are you staying?

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

Catalina express from long beach shoves off at their 'downtown landing' port (which I believe used to be called 'Golden Shores'). The port by the queen mary is not being used for this route.

As a result, i'm not certain how to reach it from the blue line station. I don't think the Passport bus goes there but I might be mistaken. I'm sure catalina express can provide directions to the port.

The transfer will take some time: about 20 min on the red line+ about 60 min on the blue line + a few minutes to transfer to the port by bus or taxi. Add to that, waiting time between each of these steps and you're looking at about 2 hours on the outbound and a little bit more on the return.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

If you take the Blue Line to the Long Beach Transit Mall, you should be able to take Long Beach Transit Bus 121 to the Catalina Express Terminal.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

I've done this method of going to Catalina few times, both from L.A and Orange County. And yes, there is a Passport bus that goes from the downtown transit center to the Catalina Express terminal .

From Los Angeles, I would take the Blue Line to Long Beach and stop at the terminus there at the Long Beach transit center. Then you'd take a Passport bus ( I forgot which number though) to the C.E terminal in Catalina landing and catch the boat to the island from there ...

6. Re: Hollywood and Catalina Island - best way to get there no car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:20