We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

Baltimore
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

These are the things that are penciled in on our list but many times we tend to go and make decisions on the fly after talking with people or just seeing where our feet take us:

Peterson Auto Museum - maybe

CA Science Center - maybe to see space shuttle

Getty Center - must see

Griffith Observatory/Park/Hollywood sign !

Santa Monica Pier and a drive up the beach but no need to stay on beach

Hollywood - just see what is all there; do touristy stuff

Beverly Hills - again just to see

Studio Tour – The Warner Bros VIP seems to get the best reviews

Baseball game

I am kind of getting the feeling that Hollywood is kind of like Times Sq in NYC whereas West Hollywood is a little more refined/less touristy maybe like SoHo in NYC. Is that an accurate picture? What about Studio City as an option? We are also OK with staying at a private residence like through VRBO or Airbnb or a hotel but hotels seem expensive and limited options.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

Look at the Orchid Suites and the Magic Castle Hotel, both are known as "Extended Stay/Apartment Hotels", which come with a kitchen in your room. But they are more flexible in dates of availability and length of stays.

Both are near the corner of Hollywood and Highland, which is the main tourist area of the Hollywood, and also has a station of the LA Metro Red Line Subway, which can get around to some places in the area easily. (But not all).

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,010 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

If you will have a car don't stay in Hollywood, stay in West Hollywood or the area around the Beverly Center.

There is zero reason to stay in the Valley (Studio City) in summer.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

We plan on getting a car but some of the hotels charge $30 for daily parking. How hard is it to find street parking? My husband is usually pretty good at finding something. We were leaning towards West Hollywood.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

Are you going to have a car? If no, then Hollywood around Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. is your best bet, as its a big public transit and tour bus hub there.

West Hollywood is a better choice with a car.

Personally I'd skip Studio City - with a car, the only attraction on your list that its sort of convenient to is Warner Bros. (Universal Studios is also nearby), and although the distance to the other places from Studio City might not seem large on a map, Studio City is actually in a valley north of the rest of the city, and there are limited ways to get out of the valley and into the city, and they're all traffic bottlenecks. So I would not want to stay there for that reason. Without a car I would for sure skip it as it will be more difficult to get to the other places.

Yes, Hollywood around Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. is a little bit like Times Square in NYC, just on a much smaller and less grand scale. I'm not sure about the West Hollywood / SoHo comparison (simply because I'm not familiar with SoHo) - West Hollywood along the Sunset Strip portion of Sunset Blvd. can be a bit touristy, howver, but not as much as Hollywood.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

Most of the hotels charging for parking, especially $30'ish for parking, are doing so because there are few if any nearby alternatives. The trick in most areas is overnight parking - street parking can usually be found - at least in some areas - but in many areas overnight street parking is not allowed. The same is true for parking lots and parking structures that you might find near these hotels - cheaper than the hotel's own parking but usually overnight parking not allowed.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

Your analysis of the areas are somewhar accurate. I actually think Times Sq is a lot nicer than Hollywood/Highland. The NY area has more theaters and more entertainment selections.

As a visitor, Studio City should be excluded. Unless you are going for something specific like a wedding or family gathering then it's not an ideal place to stay. It may look close on a map but it's geographically somewhat isolated from main city areas by the hills.

West Hollywood would be a good place to stay

Dr. Z

Baltimore
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

Thank you for all your input. This confirms what I had been thinking about staying in West Hollywood. Now it is whether we will stay at a hotel or look to stay at a rental unit. I have a few in mind either through VRBO or Airbnb. I do like the idea of a kitchen for breakfasts.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

The Orchid Suites only charges $10 a day for parking, and it is more "Family lodging" than what you would find in many other places you mentioned. The area does carter to tourists and families, and the Orchid Suites, while nothing fancy, have large rooms of many different floor plans, free WiFi and free breakfast.

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

Similar option is the Magic Castle Hotel, their parking is $11 a day, once again free WiFi and Free Breakfast. Tends to be a bit higher in price than the Orchid Suites.

magiccastlehotel.com/category/guest-accommod…

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,903 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

We have a topic in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX (a the right side of the page) that lists hotels that can accommodate 5 or 6 persons in a room. I suggest looking at this list -- not because you have that many people but because many of those hotels offer rooms with a separate bedroom(s) and living room/kitchen -- which sounds like something that would appeal to you. Here's a shortcut to this list:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c172178/Los-An…

I live in West Hollywood (and grew up in NY). The "Sunset Strip" area of our city (where most of the hotels are) is nicer than Hollywood (after all, it's been torn down a number of times and rebuilt over the last 60 years whereas Hollywood is still 'in the 1930s' for the most part.

Still, I wouldn't equate the Sunset Strip with SoHo -- it's not that residential. It is packed with hotels and 'better dining', live music venues and high-end boutique shopping so there are LOTS of tourists there but no t-shirt shops selling 'I love L.A.' t-shirts. The Sunset Strip is one of the major nightlife areas so I wouldn't call it a place for families which is not to say that you're children will be emotionally scarred by staying on the Sunset Strip but the crowd of visitors and locals (which is just as frenzied as Hollywood at times) can be quite intense in the evenings when the restaurants, bars, lounges and 'live music venues' are in full gear. Imagine bumper-to-bumper traffic along Sunset Bl as cars line up to get into parking structures and people (guys dressed in black and gals in tiny skirts and high heels) line up to get into clubs, etc. Now, you have a picture of the Sunset Strip. Family lodging? I'm not so sure.

Of all of the hotels on the Strip, the most family-friendly would be the Best Western Sunset Plaza.

Other than that, you might look at the area on the southern border of West Hollywood between the Beverly Center Mall (on the west) and the Grove/Farmers Market (on the east). Trip Advisor refers to this area as 'central L.A.' but many locals refer to it as Beverly Grove (after the two malls, above). The area is quite walkable -- lots and lots of dining in ALL price ranges and styles of food. There are no clubs, here and the only bars are inside of some of the restaurants. I like this area and I recommend it to everyone that visits me (unless they're hardcore 'clubbers' -- then I send then to the Sunset Strip or Hollywood).

Here's a map of all of the attractions you've listed. I've included an arbitrary point in the center of Beverly Grove (point "D" on the map). As you can see, staying in this area is quite central for you:

http://mapq.st/18NQCpy

One of my favorite places in the area is the Magnolia Bakery (which started in New York) -- on the corner of Orlando St & 3rd Street.

Unfortunately, Trip Advisor's hotel finder is 'under construction' but you can go here and look for hotels. Amongst these are hotels in central L.A. (Beverly Grove) mixed in with hotels in other areas. To my knowledge, there are no hotels in this area with kitchens in the rooms:

tripadvisor.com/…-1

To help you wade through this contaminated list, here are the hotels that are in the Central L.A. neighborhood:

Elan

Sofitel (which isn't in Beverly Hills although the hotel's name say it is)

The Orlando Hotel

Farmers Daughter

Wilshire Crest (free parking -- they give you a free permit to park on the street in the neighborhood

Park Plaza Lodge (I believe they have free parking as well)

and the Beverly Laurel

Happy hunting!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family lodging West Hollywood/Hollywood/Studio City?????

What would be your rec for hotel that's a step up from Orchid Suites and Magic Castle, a three or four star hotel in the West Hollywood area for family with 13 and 11 yr old?

Thanks.