We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
487 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

A. nightmare situation First you wait on a line that takes at least 1 hour. Then you have to wait in a refugee group for more than another hour to be called to get your car!!

So horrible that it's almost unbelievable !

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,015 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

Have you contacted Hertz about this in OK. What did they say about it. Sorry to hear about your experience I've used Hertz with Gold service which is no waiting and no lines. perhaps you may want to look at frequent renter programs the next time you rent from which ever company you want

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
487 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

Thanks for your comment

We don't do car rentals often enough to be a gold member, but your suggestion is a good one

As it is, we will never use Hertz again. Never on our lives did we encounter what we just experienced today

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've used Hertz at LAX two or three times in the past year. I agree that the lines were long at the counter, but they moved fast and the people who worked there were very nice. I don't know what you mean about a refugee group. They handed me my keys at the counter and I walked out to my car and drove away. Perhaps something unusual was going on......

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

While it's been awhile, I've rented from Hertz at LAX dozens of times and never had a problem but, yes, like belo I was a Gold member. I've seen ads where they are offering it free these days. It is definitely worthwhile even if you have to pay a small membership fee.

It appears perhaps that something odd happened at LAX for them to be so shorthanded and short of cars. Some unexpected inundation of customers? Was this Sunday? How many SFO flights were diverted to LAX as a result of the Asiana crash?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

You really should contact the company and make a formal complaint. Your situation sounds unacceptable. In all likelihood, management will agree and make some compensation. If they want your business, they will act.

Let us know what happens.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

I'm with Hitch. In my 7 years of participation in Trip Advisor, yours is the first complaint about Hertz at LAX. Sounds to me like something unusual was going on -- probably stranded passengers (on their way to SFO) renting cars to drive home. The entire airport in SF was shut down and much of the traffic was diverted to LAX.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

When was this, houdi? Was it the day of the crash at SFO or a day or two after? Airports (and car rentals) all up and down the west coast were affected.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
487 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

No, there was nothing unusual going on at LAX and it was an ordinary Wednesday. The staff told us that it is usually lime this. It is simply a horribly run Hertz location

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

I've also had a horrible experience with Hertz in Orlando, FL. It took over an hour to pick up my car even though I had a reservation. There was one agent working and there were some international renters without a reservation. I've had no problems with Alamo from then on!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never, never use Hertz car rental at LAX

I will be dropping off at LAX. Hopefully goes quickly