We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

On vacation with late teen and early twenties family .

Driving from Santa Barbara to Palm Springs this Friday morning.

Would appreciate help as to where might be a. Really good place to. Stop for lunch .

Something a bit different and local vs gourmet is what we would be after .

Ie a memory vs a brand

Travelling on the 126 from Ventura to Santa Clarita and then the 5 and 210 to Pasadena and onwards.

We have a few days in la at end of vacation thus taking the outer route.

All inputs and thoughts ,ideas would be really appreciated from someone who is taking the route and would really welcome using it in the best way whilst here on oh so valuable vacation time.

Many thanks in advance

Emmet

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

Off 126 there is a small town called Santa Paula. On Main Street there is an exceptional restaurant called Garman's Restaurant & Irish Pub. People in Santa Paula are super friendly and the town is a real throw back so main street and Santa Paula Street are locations of many movies and commercials.

The house from the movie Carrie is in Santa Paula.

Lindsey Lohan's movie . Georgia Rule was filmed there. You see the clock tower in many shots.

The parade scene in Billy Bob Thornton's Mr Woodcock was filmed on Main Street.

One of the 2010 Super Bowl Budweiser Commercials was filmed in Santa Paula.

The 1997 movie Leave It to Beaver was filmed in Santa Paula.

On the The West Wing, Santa Paula is the hometown of fictional Presidential candidate Arnold Vinick (Alan Alda).

While there you can visit the oil museum on Main Street.

2. Re: Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 00:06
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,052 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

We go through Riverside on our way out to Palm Springs on the 60, sometimes to hook up with the 10. Often stop for lunch at the Riverside Mission Inn for lunch. They have several restaurants with patio dining, beautiful historic setting.

http://www.missioninn.com/dining/index.cfm

You may be a bit north, depends if you cut down on the 215 or not to the 60 to head out to PS. Maybe on the return trip?

Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

Really appreciate both responses and the generous natures evident in you taking the time to aid a traveller.

It is really welcomed and appreciated.

We are going to do both towns on the journey and thank you sincerely for your very generous assistance.

I shall raise a diet coke or coffee to you in each town by way of thanks! :). (as well as chief planner I am driver too!).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,052 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

I'm so pleased the suggestions worked out for you. You were very gracious with your reply, reminds me of our many trips to Ireland and the wonderful people we've met. My grandmother was born in Sligo, and of course we started our visits by making the trek over to find the family farm or any living relatives and look at genealogy records.

The Mission Inn is fresh on my mind (I usually suggest it over the Christmas Holidays to travelers to PS, when the decorations in the Spanish Patio, and throughout are over the top). My son and wife are celebrating their 10th Anniversary there this weekend, and I'm babysitting the grandchild and dog! A weekend there is like staying in another country, but traveling only an hour or so from home at the beach in LA. There is a lovely swimming pool for them in this weather.

Are you coming back to LAX for your flight home on the same day, or spending any time in the area? I see that you have been to SD and SB, both towns we visit on weekends as they are so close to us..

6. Re: Driving Santa Barbara to Palm Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:20