We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Griffith Park in December

Trevose...
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Griffith Park in December

Does anyone know if they still do a light show at Griffith Park at Christmas?

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
201 reviews
from US$79.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
182 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles Hop-on Hop-off Double...
582 reviews
from US$49.00*
Go Los Angeles Card
129 reviews
from US$85.00*
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,093 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Griffith Park in December

It's hard to predict. The Department of Water & Power is responsible for the show but they've been criticized recently during our mayoral elections for garnering favoritism from our out-going mayor. The new mayor has promised to reel in unnecessary spending. It remains to be seen whether the Christmas presentation will fall under the category of unnecessary.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,883 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Griffith Park in December

I read there was construction in 2011, which closed the light show and it hasn't been restored since. Hope it does this year. Check back after Thanksgiving; we may know by then.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Griffith Park in December

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they haven't done it the last few years. To be honest, in my personal opinion the novelty wears off after you've seen the first couple of displays and it becomes basically the mother of all traffic jams since you have to drive through the whole thing and everyone is only driving a few miles per hour, so it takes quite a while to get through it. I've seen some very elaborate neighborhood displays around LA that put anything the DWP ever did to shame and don't involve massive traffic jams, so I would personally suggest looking for something along those lines.

4. Re: Griffith Park in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 December 2013, 00:05
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,883 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Griffith Park in December

LAX2LAX - I cannot find any info, including on the DWP website, to confirm what you allude to. What is your source? Where will the display be? From what day to what day? How do we get there? Please fill in the blanks so that the rest of us can enjoy this holiday display.

Here are a couple of links that indicate there will no longer be a DWP light festival at Griffith Park:

…about.com/od/…FestivalofLight.htm

www.santaclaritaguide.com/HolidayLights.html "Griffith Park, Los Feliz - CANCELLED FOR 2013

Update for 2013: We have been advised by Griffith Park that the Holiday Light Festival will NOT be taking place in 2013. The DWP employee who managed this light display for eight years retired and at this time, no one has stepped forward to take his place. The future remains uncertain."

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Griffith Park in December

Plumeria - lax is a one post wonder and resurrected an old post from the summer to solicit for their car service. Reported.

But this is relevant info the light show is cancelled.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 23:52
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,883 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Griffith Park in December

Hey, chinita415 - so did I, I just like to make a point, especially if the one hit wonder makes a false claim! Thanks for reporting, too.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Griffith Park in December

They do not. It was cancelled a couple years ago due to construction. Since then, the employee who ran it has retired, nobody else volunteered to take it over, and it has been cut from the budget. Sadly you should not expect it to return.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,495 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Griffith Park in December

Gosh I miss that show that backed up traffic on the 5 and 134 and took 45 minutes to drive through after the 40 minute wait to get in, which was a really bad idea if you were coming from dinner and had had three cups of coffee...... :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Griffith Park in December

L.A. Zoo Lights, a new event in 2014, is actually taking over the experience from DWP, which previously ran the Festival of Lights event in Griffin Park / Los Feliz. (This from the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association.)