We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in LA?

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in LA?

HI

will be visiting LA this year end with family of 2 adults, a teen and 2 boys.

the draft itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - Bradbury building, Grand Central market, Angels flight railway, Disney Concert Hall, Chinese theatre and walk of fame

Day 2 - Universal studio

Day 3 - Deronda Drive to take pic of the Hollywood sign, Natural History museum

would like to stay somewhere that is accessible to downtown and Universal studio esp Universal studio. understand that LA traffic can be quite bad so would like to stay in an area where we can drive to the Universal studio without being stuck in the morning traffic.

Budget is around US$120 per night. which area should we look at?

thks

La Brea Tar Pits and Museum
Historic Sites, History Museums, Natural History Museums, Science Museums, Speciality Museums
Skirball Cultural Center
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in LA?

When is this trip? $120/night is extremely low for LA. You have to figure in 15% tax on top of rates, as well. Can you raise your budget? The clean, safe, well-located hotels start at about $150/night. Consider dropping the car, and adding that money to your hotel budget. Look in Hollywood for lowest priced hotels/motels, places like Orchid Suites, Celebrity Hollywood, etc.

Don't worry about traffic to Universal, you can take the metro one stop from Hollywood/Highland. Also take the metro to get downtown.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in LA?

The Hollywood and Highland area is decent in Hotel prices, you can get under $120 with places like the Motel 6, but doesn't get the best reviews, Orchid Suites is close if available, and you take advantage of their Internet rates. Also comes with a decent free breakfast that should help save money, and a kitchen or kitchenette in the room. (What some folks would call an Apartment or Extended Stay Hotel).

www.orchidsuites.com

The LA Metro Red Line Subway has a station at the corner, as mentioned above, so good public transit options. Also the main Depot of Starline Tours is also at the corner.

www.metro.net

www.starlinetours.com

Here is a link to a discounted bundle of packages including a Starline option.

www.citypass.com/hollywood

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in LA?

Take a look at the Kawada and the Ritz-Milner. I know the Kawada. But, are okay and should fit your budget. Subway is convenient to both. Kawada is a block away from the Grand Central Market and Angels Flight. You can catch the Red Line to Hollywood and Universal Studios. You can catch the Expo Line to the Natural History Museum. YC is right. Your budget is extremely low.

You could easily combine your first two days of activities, if you're organized. You might need to plan some other activities for another day. The Natural History Museum is a full day because the Science Center is also there. There's a great new exhibit at the NHM about LA history.

HTH

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,091 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in LA?

The Kawada Hotel is a good idea, you also might look at the Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, it is close to a subway station and in your price range.

travelodge.com/hotels/…hotel-overview

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,736 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in LA?

You don't need a car. Put the money saved toward a more expensive hotel. I would re-organize your itinerary as follows:

Day 1 - Bradbury building, Grand Central market, Angels flight railway, Disney Concert Hall, Natural History museum

All of these except the Natural History Museum are near to one another in downtown. The museum is a short ride by public transit. If you plan to include the California Science Center along with the Natural History Museum, it will be a long day but it's possible since many of the attractions open early:

1. Angel's flight opens at 6:45 and closes at 10 pm

2. the Bradbury, I imagine, opens at 8:00 (since it's an office building)

3. Grand Central Market opens at 9:00

4. Disney Concert Hall opens at 10:00

Day 2 - Universal studio, Chinese theatre and walk of fame

Day 3 - Deronda Drive to take pic of the Hollywood sign -- you can use public transit to get here if you want. Details are in our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in LA?

HI all

we will be in LA from 2 Dec to 4 Dec.. we will drive from Anaheim to LA in the morning and then leave LA in the evening on 4 Dec to go to Palm Springs.... so dun think we will ditch the car since we still need it...and it is quite troublesome to return , then rent again....

thks for the suggestions to group the places together but based on past experiences, we will need a whole day at a theme park esp big ones like the universal studios... same for the museum... which is why i have planned as such....

however, i will have to pump in more $$$ to get a decent hotel. for me, safety and cleanliness are top priorities... juz checked out Orchid suites and travelodge hollywood and celebrity hollywood...like them all but i think the first two will be closer to my budget... in fact, travelodge is within my budget and it has free parking:) will have to discuss these options w my husband...thks once again:)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,736 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in LA?

FYI, Universal is not a 'big theme park'. Compared to Disneyland, for example, it's much smaller.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in LA?

HI Hopskipjump

thks! i have to cater for queue times since we r not going to get the priority queue tickets (too ex)...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in LA?

Cars are actually needed in LA. Use public transportation when you can. There are many beautiful places to visit in LA but not so known. If you are driving from down town to Universal, think about maybe driving on Mulholland road. It is a road that runs on the divide line between the Valley and the city, and it is a very beautiful road. Any of the canyon roads are very beautiful to travel on. Try not to go on the road at rush hour though.

If you can get to Santa Monica you will really enjoy it. it is a very vibrant small town right by the beach with a pretty pier and board walk all the way to Venice beach.

If you like art, the LACMA museum is very good. Also the downtown library is beautiful, and the tours there are very interesting.

There is so much more, enjoy the time you have in my town.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in LA?

It looks like you will have 5 in 1 room??? If so, most places will not take 5. Please review a list of hotels/motels compiled that will take at least 5. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32655-c172178/Los-An…