We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So called guaranteed connection

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
So called guaranteed connection

We are arriving into LAX with Virgin, changing to Delta, our time between flights is 1 1/2, this was sold to us as a guaranteed connection, however it now looks like that time is totally unrealistic, our travel agent is now saying to change to a later flight will incur us charges, can someone help

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So called guaranteed connection

Virgin America and Delta are partners, and if you miss the second flight due to delays such as weather, transit in Customs, etc. The Guarantee is that they will do their best to place you on the next available flight. I would contact your Travel Agent, Virgin Australia and Delta and ask them for the "fine print" and what "Guaranteed" really means. I would not trust "word of mouth". Read the fine print, and then make sure it is followed to the letter.

Also, another thing is to contact all three parties, and make some "noise" and see if the squeaky wheel gets attention.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So called guaranteed connection

I would agree - read the fine print and find out exactly what the guarantee is. 1 1/2 hours is probably not enough time to get through customs / immigration and make it to your next flight. Regardless, if it was guaranteed it should be either the travel agent or the airline responsible for getting you on the next available flight if you miss the intended flight, and you should not have to pay any costs associated with that.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So called guaranteed connection

Did they say guaranteed or legal re the connection? I can't imagine any airline guaranteeing any kind of connection, especially on an itinerary that involves passengers going through passport control and customs upon arrival of the first flight. Legal means it fits into the guideline that, loosely stated, says that if every single thing goes exactly right with the first flight you can theoretically make the second so they are allowed to book it. Doesn't take into account late departure/arrival of the first flight, how many agents are working at immigration and customs (thereby determining the line lengths), how far you must go to the second gate (or even if there is a terminal change) and how fast you can run, if necessary.

Yes, if you miss that connection they will rebook you on the first flight with available seats--not necessarily the next flight to your destination. I'd at the very least do a seat check on their offerings to your destination after your scheduled flight so that if you do miss that connection you have a vague idea of when there might be seats.

By all means, I would enquire again, nicely, to see if something can be done to give you more time to connect.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So called guaranteed connection

I have never seen any airline offering a guaranteed connection. Who sold it to you as one ? What is the value that the middleman the travel agent brought to this deal ? A good travel agent who is familiar with international to domestic connections would not have suggested this short of a layover.

If the travel agent booked this for you, the airline won't just change it so make the agent or their manager earn his keep and they have a better chance of negiotiating with delta than you do. If they fail then, you have to call Virgin and see what they can do

5. Re: So called guaranteed connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:20