We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for attending Kcon?

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for attending Kcon?

Traveling to LA for Kcon(LA Memorial Sports Arena). It will just be my 14 yr old daughter and I(2 females). Where should we stay? I don't know anything about LA and my main concern is safety. We be arriving via LAX. It's just a 3 day trip(weekend) and we won't have time to do much else. Should I just stay at one of the hotels close to LAX and take public transport or taxi to venue? Those hotels seem to be cheaper then downtown hotels. Looking for any advice to make this trip go smoothly and safe for us. If we have any extra time we might like to visit Little Tokyo or Hollywood. We won't have time to go to the beach or anything that takes too long as the convention will take up 2 days. There will be a concert one night and it will get out late. Would it be better just to take a taxi late at night to get to our hotel? I haven't picked a hotel yet so I'm open to suggestions. Also, we are flying 7 hrs from east coast so we will be tired upon arrival.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

Between LAX or downtown LA, it would be easier to base yourself in downtown LA. You can take the Expo Line light rail train from the 7th St. Metro Center in downtown to the Exposition / USC station and walk to the Sports Arena from there.

Granted, hotels in downtown LA are more expensive but hotels near LAX are inexpensive for a few reasons - first ,it tends to not be a very walk-able area (i.e. non-hotel restaurants are basically limited to fast food - the area is mainly airport related businesses), second the area is not all that convenient, especially for public transit - it would take 2-3 bus rides from that area over to the Sports Arena, for instance. That said many of the hotels at LAX are quite nice themselves, its just the location that's not all that good.

As far as safety is concerned

a) the Sports Arena is not in the greatest area. It should be fine during the day and while I don't think anything would happen, at least as far as feeling safe its not an area I'd really want to be after dark.

b) the hotels by LAX and in downtown LA are mostly all fine in terms of the areas that they're in and safety but do let us know the specific hotel you decide on before booking, since both areas have a few lower end properties that are not in the greatest areas or themselves are not very good.

One last thought would be to stay in one of a couple of other locations where public transit to the Sports Arean would be good:

a) at the other end of the Expo Line in downtown Culver City - the Culver Hotel would be a good choice and its in a lively area at night with lots of restaurants to walk to

b) in Hollywood near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. Hotels in this area span a range of prices and there is a station here for the Red Line Subway. You can take the Red Line to the 7th St. Metro Center in downtown LA and there switch to the Expo Line to go to the Sports Arena. Hollywood / Highland is the touristy center of Hollywood - lots of restaurants etc. again in this area.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 18:41
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

Mach said it all. Don't stay near LAX

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

Thanks, your comments have been very helpful. Do you think it is safe to take the subway home after the concert which doesn't start until 7pm? Any recommendations for downtown hotels?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

Yes, the subway should be safe to take after the concert. As for downtown hotels, all of these are fine - Hilton Checkers, Millennium Biltmore, Westin Bonnaventure, downtown LA Sheraton, JW Marriott (right next to Staples Center), the Omni, the "LA Hotel Downtown" (formerly a Marriott, soon to become a Hyatt), the Ritz Carlton (also right next to Staples Center) are the ones I'd start with.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

You might want to take a look at Little Tokyo. It is a lively area with retail, restaurants and museums. it is in downtown next to the City Hall. It is served by the Gold Line and, if you don't mind walking a few blocks, the Red Line at First & Hill. Transfer to the Expo Line. I like the Miyako Hotel on First.

HTH

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

Also check out the O Hotel downtown. http://www.ohotelgroup.com/ and the Standard Downtown. http://standardhotels.com/downtown-la

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

I've narrowed it down to 2 hotels: Westin Bonnaventure or Miyako. Both are similar in price. I do plan on visiting Little Tokyo and we do prefer Asian food(Japanese or Korean) over other food choices. I also think I will arrive a day in advance to see some sights besides the Kcon event that I'm coming for. We might also have some time on Monday if we choose a late night flight out of LAX. Which hotel would be better transportation wise or is it mostly the same? The Westin seems a bit nicer and has a pool(not sure have time to use it). The Miyako is close to Little Tokyo. Is one safer for walking around over the other? We plan to use the metro and taxi for late night. I'm thinking about doing a tour or trying to go to the beach either Friday or Monday. The only things we are interested in doing is maybe getting a pic of the hollywood sign, maybe some other hollywood tourist things, and seeing the ocean. 2 other days will be tied up with Kcon. Which beach? Also, we may stay thurs. night at a LAX hotel just so I don't have to figure out how to get downtown late at night on arrival which will be 1030 or 11pm. We will check into the downtown hotel Friday unless I can get an earlier flight.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

I don't know if this matters but I wanted to add that we will not have much luggage. Only a backpack each or one backpack and one small carry on. This is how we did NYC and Europe and we are expert packers and don't need a lot of stuff to weigh us down so I won't have to wait for luggage at the airport. If I get in earlier and decide to go straight DT should I do the flyaway(think that's what it's called?) to get to the hotel downtown?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

The Bonaventure is walking distance to the 7th Street Metro Station, where you can catch the Expo line to the Sports Arena. The Miyako, you'd have to transfer from the Red Line subway to the Expo Line. Both areas are safe to walk around.

My two favorite sushi spots are SugarFISH on 7th and Grand (walking distance from the Westin Bon) and in Little Tokyo, Mako Sushi, which is a small very authentic sushi place.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay for attending Kcon?

If you prefer Asian food, Little Tokyo has got you covered. No, it doesn't have a pool. But, the overall ambiance is nicer. I find the place a little cozier, too. You can actually walk to the Civic Center subway station from Little Tokyo. It is about three blocks with a slight incline. But, I sense this won't phase you.

The Bonaventure is an odd building built in the 70s with lots of concrete. I find the layout mildly disorienting. Yes, it is much closer to the 7th & Metro station where you'd catch the Expo Line to the Sports Arena. It is also closer to the LA Live complex which has the Grammy Museum. If you're looking for some Hollywood glitz, this is a good option. The Hollywood sign is a little underwhelming. One thing I like about the Bonaventure are the bridges to Grand Avenue. If you're interesting in checking out the Disney Concert Hall and Cathedral (for their architecture), there's a bridge across Flower Street. Also, the Central Library is kitty-corner and well worth even a quick visit. Another amazing building.

To get to the beach, your best bet is to catch the #10 Big Blue Bus. There's a stop at Union Station. But, check the route. There are numerous stops in downtown before it gets on the freeway. Just make sure you catch it before the last bus downtown. It stops running i the early evening.

If you're flying in domestically, it really shouldn't take you that long to catch the Flyaway bus to downtown. At that hour, you'll be downtown quickly. From Union Station, just catch a cab to your hotel. Both are a very short ride away. You'd be in bed before midnight. Frankly, taking the Flyaway shuttle into downtown in the morning seems more involved and likely to get you caught in traffic.

HTH