We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

Hi, I am travelling to Los Angeles for 4 nights in September next year,as I have never been to the area I have no idea where to look for hotels or motels in areas not so undesirable and any help would be appreciated. I would rather pay as little as possible as I don't intend to do anything bar sleep,shower and change in the room even so I expect to find somewhere clean apart from that I have no preferences and realize I will get what I pay for. Thanks in advance for your help.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

OK, will you have a car?

What type of things do you plan to see/do?

OK, the two most popular areas with decent public transit in the Greater Los Angeles Area are Hollywood and Anaheim for public transit. Both have lower priced accommodations, Anaheim a but more than Hollywood. But Anaheim is where Disneyland is located, in Orange County. (But why they have a lot of Motel options).

Also you might want to look at Motels near the LA Metro Gold Line, such as Pasadena.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

If you're not planning on going to Disneyland, the above advice should not be taken. Anaheim is an hour from Los Angeles by car, 2 hours by public transit, and is not convenient at all for getting around Los Angeles. Hollywood would be your best bet.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

Define low. LA is expensive. If you rent a car, you'll likely have parking fees to pay at the hotel.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,232 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

Are you traveling alone? A hostel would be the least expensive but you would be sharing a room and/or bathroom.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

What is your budget for a hotel?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

The OP has placed this post on SF, SD and LA forums. Hopefully they return and answer the questions that all of us have asked.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

I dont have a budget as such but dont want to spend to much on a room to sleep in. Yes I have posted in SD and SF forums aswell as we are doing 3 weeks driving around California then to Vegas. When there we are planning on doing Universal, walk of fame, hollywood sign ect. We will have a car and a 45-60 min drive from these wouldnt be a problem. Would rather my own room and my own bathroom rather than a hostel. Im under no illusions that im going to get a nice hotel in a nice area for $20 im just after a clean one in a decent area what are as cheap as possible without being dirty.

Thanks

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

Start looking at Motel 6 locations east of the 605 off of the 10, 60 and 210.

HTH

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

Thanks I will do that are these decent areas off these roads?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Hotel/Motel in decent area.

The area I referred to is very large. There will be a mix. Motel 6's are typically near the freeway. Read the individual reviews. Frankly, I think a hostel would be a better option in terms of price, convenience or value. Also, take a look at the motels near Disneyland.

HTH