We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Layover

Newcastle
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
LAX Layover

We arrive in January on a Wednesday morning at 0940 hours to LAX. We fly out to San Francisco same day at 1505 hours. With this layover would we have enough time to go to Manhattan Beach for lunch? if so what are the best option of getting to Manhattan Beach from LAX? If not enough time any suggestions on things to do in and around LAX for the time frame we have?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Layover

Are either of your flights international? What about your luggage?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX Layover

We are flying from Australia. Was hopping to store luggage in lockers.

Culver City...
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Layover

No lockers at LAX. You can rent a car and store them in the trunk... Or find out what time you can check your bags. Any chance you can check them all the way through?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Layover

There are flights to SF virtually every hour out of LAX....Perhaps you can switch to an earlier flight to minimize your wait time and to have your luggage checked through.

5. Re: LAX Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 21:42
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,017 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX Layover

Are you not planning to see LA beyond the few hours during this layover. Most would spend a few days in La, see the area and then go to their next destination. I don't know about you but after a long trans pacific flight plus transfer and check in, I am yearning for a nice hot shower and food and not to go galavanting with bags for a few hours. But if you want to get to SF for some reason, please book a flight 3 hours from your arrival time and you should be ok.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX Layover

Thanks for the tips. We booked flight to San Francisco over the internet and cheapest flight with Qantas was LA then San Francisco. Normally I would get direct flight but this is what we ended up with. We will be finishing our trip with 7 days in LA so plan to explore more then. Rather then sitting round airport all day thought we could have lunch somewhere before next flight.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX Layover

Yes, you do have time to get to Manhattan Beach. At that time of the morning it will take ten minutes by taxi to get to MB once you sort your luggage.

The local place for a meal is The Kettle, on the corner of Highland Ave. and MB Blvd. They are open 24/7 so serve B, L and D all day. They have a large covered patio where you can get a peek of the ocean, which is a couple blocks away from the Pier.

http://thekettle.net/

The cost of a cab will be about $20 plus tip. Lots of shops, a boardwalk called the Strand where you can stretch your legs.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX Layover

The easiest and quickest thing to do will be to take a taxi to Manhattan Beach but I am concerned that this is going to be cutting it close. By the time you get through customs / immigration its probably going to be 1030-1100, and you'll want to be back by 1300 or so for your next flight. You could probably get away with 1330 but not really beyond that. I'm assuming that you'll be able to check your luggage through to the next flight if you booked them on the same ticket before you leave customs / immigration - if not, you'll either have to take it with you or if its too much to carry, you'll be stuck having to go to the terminal for your next flight and check it there - by the time you did that, you'd not have much time left at all. Figure the taxi will be around 20 minutes each way from LAX to Manhattan Beach.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX Layover

There is a minimum taxi fare from LAX, so going to Manhattan Beach could cost $35-40 r.t. I think I once saw mention of a shuttle but don't know details.

Then there's a problem of bags. First, unless you arrive and depart from the same terminal, you'll have to take your bags on the inter-terminal shuttle or walk. I didn't see what airline you're taking to SF. Not all have flights every hour. Normally you'd have to pay maybe $150 to switch flights, but sometimes if you go to the second airline's counter you can get on an earlier flight. Even if you have to stick with the current schedule you may be able to check-in early and be done with the checked bags. But you'd still have your carry-on bags (plus valuables such as your passports), so don't know how much walking around Manhattan Beach you'd want to do.

Then there's the matter of time. Let's say you're lucky and get through Immigration and Customs in an hour (could be two, but we'll be optimistic). So, at 10:40 a.m., you go to the second airline's terminal, by shuttle or on foot (lots of LAX terminal maps online) and hopefully check-in there. Let's say you're through by 11:15. You should be back at the second terminal an hour ahead of time, to go through security and get to your gate, so maybe 3 hours max, including time in a taxi, to get to Manhattan Beach. Given the fact that you'll be in L.A. after S.F., I'd chill at LAX, and maybe have lunch at the Encounter Restaurant in the middle of the airport complex http://www.encounterlax.com/

Edited: 23 July 2013, 14:45