We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car pool lanes

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Car pool lanes

Ok, so we worked out the car pool lanes you had to have at least 2 people in the car to use it. I googled car pool lanes and it says you can get a $341 fine for entering or exiting the lane - it this just if the Police catch you or are there cameras?

Really hope there aren't cameras cos we did it 3 times before realising we couldn't!!! Going to avoid the carpool lanes from now on anyway but would like to know if we are going to get a bill in the mail. :s

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,928 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car pool lanes

I hope they don't use cameras either, because I do the same thing on occasion!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car pool lanes

OK, there are two types of lanes that seem to be Carpool lanes, the traditional "Diamond" Lanes, and the Express Lanes.

The Express Lanes use cameras and sensors to verify that everyone has a FasTrak Transponder, and enter and exit the lanes correctly.

The traditional Car Pool lanes do not use cameras, they rely on CHP officers. Carpool lanes can be entered/exited when there are wide white strips (known as Elephant Tracks) or using special Car Pool entrance/exit ramps. When the Carpool Lane has solid Yellow Lines, it is against the law to cross over.

In Orange County, they are trying to eliminate as much Yellow Stripping as possible (safety is the number 1 rule), alas, this has some folks getting confused, and crossing over the Yellow Lines more often, since much of the Diamond Lanes are now Elephant Tracks.. And yes, the fine is expensive if caught.

Also, it is confusing to some single drivers, who don't realize that the far left lane is the Diamond Lane, as they need to work on better signage and painting the lane with more Diamonds and wording.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,928 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car pool lanes

What you have to avoid are the FasTrak lanes. They just started taking over some carpool lanes on the 10 and 110 freeways. If you're not paying attention, yep, they will nail you. In fact, they are counting on it. Yes, cameras catch you. They just bill the car-rental agency, who pass it along to you. Governing authorities in California have become very predatory at all levels. Be extremely cautious about parking, too. Ruthlessly efficient and expensive.

Yes, you've been warned.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
840 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car pool lanes

Yes, it is quite confusing. The Fast Trak lanes have cameras that will catch you and bill you or your car rental agency without the transmitter. Some carpool lanes requires at least 3 occupants, while some require only two (like the 60Fwy). The carpool lanes in Phoenix has double white lines separating it from other lanes, and allows drivers to go in and out with caution whenever they want, unlike in Los Angeles. I have friends from Phoenix who expected the same in L.A. and got ticketed for changing lane in double lined carpool lanes in L.A.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car pool lanes

For the regular carpool lanes (the Diamond Lanes), its basically unenforced - certainly not by cameras and while I've spent countless hours at a standstill next to the carpool lane watching cars with only one occupant zoom by, I've never, ever seen anyone stopped by police for this.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car pool lanes

I have seen it, and more than once, but I live in an area with lots of Car Pool Lanes.

I loved it when they pulled over a large bus that crossed the double yellow lines to enter the car pool lane.

IMHO, I think they pick specific days and then have multiple officers go out and look for the violations.

7. Re: Car pool lanes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21