We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night near Universal Studios

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
One night near Universal Studios

Hi

I was spending 8 nights in Anaheim after staying in San Diego, but as we are planning on taking two trips into LA, one to go to Universal and the other to do a Hop on/off tour around Hollywood i'm thinking that we maybe should get the train from San Diego to LA and spend a night in LA then get the train to Anaheim and spend 7 nights instead of the 8 that we have already booked.

If we get the Amtrak to Union Station I can then get the red line to Universal City, we can get there by around 10-11am, spend the whole day at Universal, stay the night the next morning get the red line to Hollywood do the hop on/off tour then take the Amtrak from Union Station to Anaheim.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel that is within walking distance or has a shuttle to Universal Studios? I've looked on Google maps and found two very expensive ones. Our Anaheim hotel is costing us only $60 per night (super 8) so we aren't super fussed on "quality" more location. I just thought it might be better to stay the night instead of making the commute all the way in to LA twice as it is quite a distance and a large chunk of our vacation time.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
31,023 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
105 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night near Universal Studios

What time of year are you coming? LA is more expensive than Anaheim, so finding something in the $60 range is a near impossibility, especially close to tourist destinations like Hollywood/Universal Studios. You can check the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave in Hollywood, which would be 1 stop on the subway to Universal Studios. But even that will most likely be around $100 per night.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Universal Studios...
31,023 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night near Universal Studios

OK why not stay in Hollywood instead of Universal City? See if the Orchid Suites or Magic Castle Hotel are available.

Then on the way to Universal Studios, get off the Red Line at the Hollywood and Highland Station, check into your Hotel (more than likely your room will not be ready, but you can at least drop off your luggage), then get back on the Red Line to Universal Studios, and then head back to the Hotel after your day at Universal Studios. Also you can do some tourist things near the hotel that night.

A day pass is $5 on the Metro system. (plus the $1 for a reusable TAP card).

But Hollywood Hotels are more expensive than in Anaheim.

What I would do, is just stay in Anaheim, and split up the days, so you don't make the trip to the Hollywood area 2 days in a row, maybe something like days 3 and 6.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 22:30
Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Magic Castle Hotel
Magic Castle Hotel
3,226 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Universal Studios...
31,023 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood & Highland
Hollywood & Highland
377 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night near Universal Studios

It will be the 16th of September. I looked at a few places close to the Hollywood/Highland station and most were around $120 which is OK, anything under $150 would be OK. I understand that i'll be paying more than Anaheim but i'm willing to do that for the time it will save me on the commute.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night near Universal Studios

There are a few hotels near Universal Studios - the main ones are the Sheraton Universal, the Universal Hilton, the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn and the Sportsman's Lodge. The first two are right next to Universal, an easy walk. The latter two are not an easy walk but have free shuttles to Universal. All, I'm afraid, will be far in excess of $60/night. There are also a few motel type properties nearby but I'd hesitate to recommend any of them.

Another option is to stay in Hollywood or in downtown LA - all are reachable on the subway from Universal City. In Hollywood the cheapest options would be the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave. or the Liberty Hotel. A bit more expensive would be Orchid Suites or the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios...
31,023 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sheraton Universal Hotel
Sheraton Universal Hotel
1,768 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Inn
Beverly Inn
116 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Garland
The Garland
3,309 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Celebrity Hotel
Hollywood Celebrity Hotel
2,233 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night near Universal Studios

As far as I know, the Motel 6 does not store luggage, and that is a main issue for the OP, no place to store it at Universal Studios, they do have some lockers outside the gates, but they are not cheap, and I don't think would hold a full sized suitcase.

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios...
31,023 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night near Universal Studios

The BLVD Hotel has a advance purchase rate of $140 and is a 5 minute walk to Universal.

http://www.blvdstudiocity.com/index.html

Mentioned in this post
The Blvd
The Blvd
288 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night near Universal Studios

Thank you, I'll check out all those hotel options after work tonight. The reason I was thinking of near Universal was so we could go and check-in, then head straight to Universal. We will have a fair amount of luggage. I have just had a thought, how on earth will we get our luggage on the red line train!!! Maybe we need to stay near Union station instead. ARGGG, now i'm confused.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,611 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night near Universal Studios

I know very little about the train transport issue. But one option you can keep in mind is just getting a private transport. Zippy shuttle, Karmel shuttle, Super Shuttle ect all offer a private transport along with their regular service if you contact them directly, Its likely to be about $100 one way from the LA area to Anaheim, but may be worth it to you.

Mentioned in this post
Zippy Shuttle
Zippy Shuttle
57 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Karmel Shuttle
Karmel Shuttle
128 Reviews
Fullerton, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,541 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night near Universal Studios

Well, first thing to realize is that Union Station is the FIRST STOP on the red line so the train will be empty when you board so there should be no problem getting your luggage onto the train. Pick some seats at the end of one of the cars so that most other passengers won't be stepping over your luggage. Alternatively, you could take a taxi from Union Station to your hotel.

I would stay in Hollywood since there are many more choices for hotels. Look at:

1. The Coral Sands on Western Av (a very short walk to the Hollywood/Western red line station.

or

2. The Days Inn Hollywood (the one at 7023 Sunset Bl -- be careful, there is more than one location) which is not too far from the corner of Hollywood & Highland where you'll find a red line station and a HoHo stop.

3. The Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, a short walk to the Vermont/Sunset red line station.

The bigger question is: Why are you going from San Diego to L.A. to Anaheim? (You'll be passing through Anaheim on the way to L.A.). Why not go San Diego to Anaheim to L.A.? In addition to the fact that you won't be 'backtracking', Hollywood/L.A. is closer to LAX than Anaheim is so your airport transfer will be shorter.

the Travelodge

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Coral Sands Motel
Coral Sands Motel
1,068 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset
Travelodge...
1,222 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night near Universal Studios

I would be concerned that low end motels will not have luggage storage. Contact first to confirm. It may be easier to stay downtown. Get off at Union Station and take a cab to a hotel and leave your bags if you cannot get in your room yet. Take the Red Line to Universal. The problem with that is on a weekday you may not find anything in your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,543 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA