We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Beach - Hollywood

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Venice Beach - Hollywood

We are in La this weekend (yep, and I'm still planning the trip!) landing late Saturday and are driving North on Tuesday morning. We are staying in Hollywood (Loews) with a car. I had planned to take it easy on Sunday and just do the local area plus, possibly driving down to Santa Monica/Venice in the late afternoon. That leaves Monday free for Universal and Griffith park when I figured crowds would be a little lighter.

My question is re the drive on Sunday. How long will it take me to get to & and back from Venice Beach on a Sunday evening? If the traffic is as bad as some say is there any other options (subway) that would be feasible, and safe, for a family of 4.

Thank you

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Beach - Hollywood

No other options. The traffic shouldn't be bad. About 30 minutes, each way -- maybe slightly longer in the evening since others will be returning from their weekend holidays.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Beach - Hollywood

I don't know how old you kids are, but please read reviews of Venice Beach on Trip Advisor and/or Yelp and make sure you want to take your kids there.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Beach - Hollywood

A lot of people say "Griffith Park" when they mean "Griffith Observatory". Note that the observatory is closed on Monday so if you want to go there, you should do so on Sunday.

The subway doesn't go to Venice. If you want to go between Venice and Hollywood by public transit it would be a two bus transfer each way, but since the buses use the same streets as everyone else, it won't help you avoid traffic - however traffic should not be that bad on Sunday.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Beach - Hollywood

Yes, definitely take a look at the reviews. Some are priceless. One points out the police presence has been increased. Another extols it as great for families, unless they are uptight about weed and sexuality.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice Beach - Hollywood

I would drive to Santa Monica where the parking lots are larger, are a bit less in price than Venice, and it's right off the freeway. You can walk to Venice from Santa Monica's south beaches (use the lot entrance on Ocean Park Blvd.). I would walk to Venice Beach rather than rent bikes; it's just too crowded on weekends.

On weekends, my way of avoiding traffic and crowds is to get out of the house early! Get to the beach by 10:30 am and the drive is easy, beaches less crowded. So, I recommend going to the beach first, then exploring Hollywood in the late afternoon/evening.

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice Beach - Hollywood

Thank you, my plan was to do the observatory on the Monday so that is a really valuable tip, thank you. I am amused by the comments on Venice Beach, we'll play it by ear but living in London it doesn't sound much worse than our high street. Maybe I will move that to Monday, post Universal, and finish the 2 days in LA with dinner in Santa Monica (and just a stroll around Venice as an intrigued bystander).

The kids are 2 & 6 so we'll wander with caution!

7. Re: Venice Beach - Hollywood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 06:21