We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in LA with car rental

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in LA with car rental

hi all,

My fiancé and I are in the midst of planning our honeymoon,

The itinerary/quotation the flight agent and I came up with is

Fly into LA 23rd of April, shuttle bus to Anaheim, 2 nights there.

At checkout, pick up rental car and drive to LA - we have the car rental for 6 nights 7 days,

Drive to vegas on the 7th day, drop off the car in vegas, spend 5 nights there then fly home.

Any suggestions on places to road trip it to in the 7 days from Anaheim - LA - vegas?

We haven't planned accom in LA as we'd like to play it ear, but wouldn't have a clue where to go!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

I would add two nights to Anaheim and plan on visiting some of the beach cities in Orange County like Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Huntington Beach, maybe go out on a boat and whale watch one day and also look at a day trip to Catalina Island.

Between LA and Vegas are some national parks like Joshua Tree and Death Valley, but I would do research on them and see if they interest you. I think a night at the Furnace Creek Inn would be a great on a honeymoon.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

furnacecreekresort.com/lodging/…

Hopefully you are posting in the Las Vegas Forum too for specific advice on what to do there.

I would carve one night out of Las Vegas and go spend a night at the Grand Canyon National Park, not Grand Canyon West and spend the night at the El Tovar Hotel.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

www.grandcanyonlodges.com/el-tovar-409.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

Fantastic thank you!

I do think 5 nights in Vegas is a little much to be honest. We will definitely have a day at Grand Canyon. We love national parks so we will definitely have a look into those places mentioned!

I think we may cut Vegas short and go from Anaheim (after seeing OC, Laguna beach and Huntington Beach) to Hollywood, do the tourist then up to San Francisco then across to vegas? Would that be doable?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

Fantastic thank you!

I do think 5 nights in Vegas is a little much to be honest. We will definitely have a day at Grand Canyon. We love national parks so we will definitely have a look into those places mentioned!

I think we may cut Vegas short and go from Anaheim (after seeing OC, Laguna beach and Huntington Beach) to Hollywood, do the tourist then up to San Francisco then across to vegas? Would that be doable?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

I think trying to add San Francisco is too much. To do the trip to SF right requires two nights on the coast and then three nights in SF itself. If you did that then I would fly to Vegas from the Bay Area, not drive.

Stick with your Southern Cal and NV/AZ plans.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

If this is your honeymoon, San Francisco is a heck of a lot more romantic than Las Vegas! In fact it has been deemed by travel publications as one of the most popular places to visit in the world.

You could drive up the famous coast route (1), drop your car off there before touring SF (at least three nights is suggested), and then fly home from SF.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

5 nights in Vegas is way too long! Cut it to 3 nights and explore Southern California. Spend a couple nights in San Diego or Laguna Beach (not more time in Anaheim!). Drive to Santa Barbara for a couple days/nights.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,486 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

Welcome to the forums Astridmagnea,

Keep in mind, you are traveling at a busy time for people vacationing. The week After Easter Sunday still has alot of Schools on Spring Break for that full week after. So, you cannot just show up in Anaheim during that time period and expect to find somewhere good to stay, things are booked months in advance.

That would also be the case with the Grand Canyon, Zion Ect. Late April, early May is a popular time to visit those areas. You would not be too soon to book something now for those areas, they book up that far in advance.

If you would like help finding somewhere to stay in the various areas, you can post questions in the specific City forums you are thinking of visiting, and they can help you find places to stay, and help with specific questions to their areas.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,056 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

If you're adventurous, you could fly from LV to SF for the day. Southwest.com has flights departing early in the morning and returning in the evening.

9. Re: 7 days in LA with car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 06:19