We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me decide...

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Help me decide...

We are currently planning to have 7 nights in Los angeles Sept 2014 (we will be in vegas before that and san francisco after). My question is about where to stay for the week in LA, we want to visit disney land, both parks so is it best to stay there for 2 nights and then LA 5 nights or is it doable driving to and from LA. What would you recommend? We will have a car.

Also which 4* hotels would you recommend to stay in, in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area that are walking distance to bars and restaurants?

Thank you

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me decide...

It makes sense to stay in Anaheim a couple of nights for Disney. Disney is about an hour south of Hollywood / Beverly Hills, and if it were me, I'd rather avoid doing that drive back and forth in traffic.

There are four 4-star hotels in Hollywood itself - Loew's Hollywood, the Hollywood Roosevelt, the "W" Hollywood and the Redburry. The first two are near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. This is the big touristy center of Hollywood where you'll find the Chinese Theater, Dolby (formerly Kodak) Theater, etc. The latter two are to the east, near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Vine St. There will be restaurants in walking distance to all of these. Of these, Loew's is a bit more family oriented, Roosevelt is an old hotel but recently renovated, nice in a classic sort of way. "W" is only a few years old and is hip and trendy.

In Beverly Hills, you have the western part of Beverly Hills - the "golden triangle" area around Rodeo Drive. Hotels here include the Beverly Wilshire, the Montage and the Luxe. Many restaurants in walking distance in this area. Just to the west of here are the Beverly Hilton and the Peninsula hotel. To the east a little bit, the Four Seasons. Probably the four seasons is a bit far to the restaurants to walk, so I'd pass on that. The other big name hotel in Beverly Hills is the Beverly Hills Hotel, very famous. North of the golden triangle area - no outside restaurants in walking distance, really, but there are a few famous restaurants at the hotel itself, such as the Polo Lounge.

Then there is the eastern part of Beverly Hills / just outside of Beverly Hills in an area known as Beverly Grove, around La Cienega Blvd. The two 4-star'ish hotels in this area, both in walking distance to many restaurants again, would be the SLS and the Sofitel.

Finally, you may want to consider West Hollywood (in between Hollywood and Beverly Grove) along the famous "Sunset Strip" portion of Sunset Blvd. 4-star type hotels in this area would include Mondrian, Chateau Marmont, and The London.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,266 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me decide...

More important than star rating is your nightly budget.

I'd spend at least two nights in Anaheim because it takes three days to see the two parks.

How much time are you allowing, LA to SF (assuming you are driving)? It is best with at least two nights (Santa Barbara & Monterey) and even better with three.

The two areas I would consider in LA are West Hollywood on/near Sunset Blvd and the area around the Beverly Center (West Hollywood and Beverly Hills adjacent).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me decide...

There are plenty of other things to do other than Disneyland in the Anaheim area, so you might want an extra day in the area. The Hyatt Regency Orange County is a very nice 4 star Hotel. If you don't need Room Service or Valet Parking, you might want to check out the Ayres Anaheim or Orange Hotels. Both are very nice Boutique Hotels, and highly rated here at TA. Also, the Anaheim location is near a lot of bars and restaurants due to the fact the Honda Center (Arena) and Angel Stadium are nearby. Ayres Orange is walking distance to The Outlets at Orange Shoppertainment Mall, with lots of bars and restaurants in its complex.

www.visittheoc.com

I agree with MachThree, I would start with the Loews Hollywood, a great central location with lots of things around it.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,531 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me decide...

Where you stay during the L.A. portion of your visit depends on three things:

1. Your budget

2. Your specific itinerary

3. The environment you want around your hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me decide...

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it. I will look into the hotels suggested, regarding budget, probably $300 per night max. I said before that ideally it would be nice to be able to walk to restaurants and bars in the evening. We will have a car also though.

I have started trying to put together an itinerary for the week we are in LA but I am becoming confused about what to group together for each day (which things are close together etc). We would want to do all the touristy things seeing as it is our first visit so this would include:

*Hollywood blvd/walk of fame

*Would like to find a good vantage point to see the hollywood sign for photos

*Griffith Observatory

*Universal Studios (will this take a whole day?)

*Santa Monica/Venice beach

*Rodeo Drive

*Beverly Hills

*Paramount pictures tour

*Anaheim - for disney mainly but any other recommended things to do there are welcome.

This list isn't exhaustive as we don't want to miss out but I am getting puzzled about how to group things together best.

It is 7 nights and I am happy for suggestions of a split stay Anaheim and LA.

Thank you

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me decide...

OK, 4 days in the Anaheim area, and 3 days in the Hollywood area.

3 days at the Disneyland Resort (both parks), a day at Knott's, and then try and squeeze in a Dinner Show one evening.

For the Hollywood area, if the Lowes is too expensive, look at the Magic Castle Hotel or the Orchid Suites.

Universal Studios and the CityWalk next door is a full day for most families. If you can afford it, the VIP Experience is awesome and a much better Studio Tour than the GA ticket.

A day in the Hollywood area, the Hollywood and Highland Shoppertainment Mall has a great view of the Hollywood sign, has the Dolby Theatre (Oscars) and the TCL Chinese Theatre (famous hand and foot prints), the walk of fame is on both streets, and many other popular tourist attractions, here is a link to a discounted bundle of Hollywood attractions. The Stars Tour goes past Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills.

www.citypass.com/hollywood

And then head to the Griffith Observatory after your day in Hollywood.

Day 3 would be the other things, including the Paramount Tour.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,266 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me decide...

With a car I would stay in the area around the Beverly Center where LA, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills meet. There are great restaurants in the area that are walkable.

Hotels in that area to look at are Sofitel, The Orlando, The Elan a bit further from the Bev Center, Petit Ermitage, Le Montrose Suite Hotel, Chamberlain and Hotel Grafton.

For some time in Hollywood park at the Hollywood & Highland Center and you can do Hollywood in few hours tops. I think Universal Studios is a half day too.

For Orange County (Anaheim) I'd say three nights tops and you don't need to see another amusement park, take time and drive down to the beach cities, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach.

Hotels in Anaheim, start with the Disney Hotels, Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian and Paradise Pier. Those are all walkable obviously. Other nice 4* places are the Hyatt Regency, Anaheim Hilton, Sheraton Park and Anaheim Marriott. Not 4*, but nice is the Ayres Hotel.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me decide...

Only stay in Anaheim for the days that you are visiting Disneyland - which is probably two days.

Read our FAQs on What to Do, buy a book or two on Los Angeles and read up to get an idea of the large area. For hotel, I would recommend Santa Monica. You can walk to bars and restaurants, you're at the beach, and with a car it's easy to get where you want to visit.

9. Re: Help me decide...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:15