We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How soon should I book hotels?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How soon should I book hotels?

This is not just aimed at Los Angeles but I am hoping to spend more time in Los Angeles.

I am looking to come to America June/July or August depending on work/flights etc

I have been looking on sites such as booking.com and they are coming up that rooms in hotels are being booked up in July 2014, do hotels really get booked up that quickly? or is this their way of trying to secure more bookings?

I am just wanting to find out if I should be looking at booking soon or if I have some time still to look around different hotels etc :)

Thanks a lot

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

Depends on your exact dates and your area of LA.......

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

Pretty flexible at the moment on dates, it was originally going to be around 26th June - 2rd of July in LA. In terms of areas, we have not specifically decided on areas but looking overall.

I was just concerned that im leaving it a little late booking hotels :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,223 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

There are sometimes conventions that take up hotel rooms.

In general you don't have to book a year in advance for most cities. Some places like Yosemite National Park DO book up that far out. Sometimes booking sites or hotels show no rooms available because it is too early to book.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 15:37
Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

Ah great - Thanks a lot :)

One thought might be due to us travelling on July 4th and would expect hotels to get booked up. Would be amazing to be there then though so I can join in :)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

Are you seeing the hotels booked for all dates in and beyond that time frame? Some times they won't start taking reservations more than a year or so in advance, but instead of just stating this on the web site, they just say no rooms are available, making it look like the hotel is booked solid when they probably haven't booked any rooms at all for that time period yet.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

Hi

Thanks for your reply

When looking in the dates, many of them are saying last few rooms available etc - although then again some of them are also saying no rooms after July so I do wonder if thats because they havent released them yet to be booked.

I think im just being over worried and very excited hehe

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,626 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

You have time, plenty of time. Book when rates come down, which is usually in October - January.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,030 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

Some of the smaller Beach hotels book up ahead with repeat visitors and reserve a year in advance. Some Universities have graduations in June and parents also book far in advance. Our US July 4th Holiday is near the weekend and some hotels require a 3 night minimum but that would not be for all hotels. I don't think you need a full year to book.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

If you book on line, be sure to look at cancellation policies. I have no problem booking far in advance, but only if I can cancel without a financial consequence. I do this for rental cars, too. Then, you can keep shopping up until the time you leave and hope for a better bargain, yet you have the peace of mind knowing that you've done something!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How soon should I book hotels?

Most hotels will allow reservations up to 11 or 12 months before the time of arrival. I'm guessing that SOME of the 'sold out' hotels you're coming across simply haven't opened up reservations as of yet.

Most of booking,com's listings can be canceled with NO PENALTY (as long as you cancel within a few days of the reservation -- check their site for details). So, if you want, book some hotels that can be canceled and you don't have to worry if you find something better since you can switch to the other deal with no penalty.