We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money question...

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Money question...

Hi,

We are in LA/Las Vegas for 17 days. We would have paid for all accommodation and most attractions before we leave so wondering how much you think is a good amount to take over for shopping etc? Have never been before so really have no idea...

Also, what is the best way to carry money? I presume not having it all in cash is the best idea?

Putting it all on a New Zealand credit card? will this work everywhere?

I will take some cash for tips taxis etc.

Thanks so much for any help/advice

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money question...

You are asking people to read your mind. No idea what you want to buy. Mouse ears at Disneyland or Gucci bag at Rodeo Dr.? Credit card should be fine. Ask your bank about foreign exchange fees. Next part I can help. When I travel I spread my cash, documents and credit cards around. Neck pouch for inside the shirt. Money belt. Pant pouches. Don't put valuables in small bags that you might set down. They can always grow legs.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money question...

Yes take a credit card, don't carry much cash ($200 is a good amount to carry, in small denominations for tips)

Don't know what kind of shopping you plan to do, so can't answer that - just take a credit card. Meals average about $10-15 for breakfast, about $20-30 for lunch and about $40+ for dinner - but it depends how you eat, what kind of restaurants, and where you are.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money question...

As long as your credit (or debit) card has a Visa or Mastercard logo, it will work pretty much anywhere that takes credit cards in the U.S. Credit cards tend to offer some of the best exchange rates as well, so it works out well as an alternative to carrying a lot of cash - but yes, if you are going to be taking taxis, etc., then you will want to have at least some cash.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money question...

Just know that if you're renting a car - and when you check into your hotel - you'll need to give them a credit card for security (damages, room service, etc). On a debit card, they freeze a certain amount, usually about $300, and that "hold" doesn't fall off for about a week. So you're in a bad position when using only a debit card.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money question...

Thanks heaps!

No, definately not anything on Rodeo drive.

Just like souvenirs, clothes (forever 21, topshop etc) and food

Thanks, wont take a debit card then, hopefully credit card will be fine :)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money question...

also sorry,

what about those travel cards you can get from banks? where you load an amount on. Are those worth looking into or just go with a credit card?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money question...

I'll let other Kiwis tell you about the travel cards but do you have an ATM card? We have ATMs everywhere!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,947 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money question...

Yes, the best is an ATM card. You can just go to an ATM machine and draw cash out of your checking account. Be sure to tell your bank where you will be traveling and that you are doing this. Some of them will charge you a small transaction fee, ours is $2, for each withdrawal, but it is worth it, especially since the exchange rate is quite good.

Then use your credit card for purchases, meals, hotel, etc. If you draw cash from your credit card you will be charged interest.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,508 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money question...

Just be aware that your credit card may charge you for foreign currency transactions.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
286 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money question...

I don't know if you have it in NZ but over the ditch we have a 28 degrees mastercard, it's through GE money. It is fabulous for overseas trips. There is no fees! Yep you heard it no fees for conversion, exchange rates etc. The exchange rates are excellent as well. We just load it up with cash even though it is a credit card. We have taken it to Hong Kong and to the USA and had no trouble with it at all. Just make sure you let them know that you are out of the country so they don't put a stop on it thinking that there is fraud on the card.