We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

Does anyone know if I can buy reasonably priced toiletries at Terminal 4 LAX after I arrive on my QANTAS flight from Sydney. Rather buy there than cart them from Australia if possible. Heading straight to World Cruise Centre to take cruise to New Orleans and won't have a lot of time.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,783 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

Everything there is overpriced, so my answer is no. Just bring what you need with you.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

Are you really arriving from Australia and planning to leave on a cruise on the same day??

What is your timing exactly?

Have you allowed time for immigration/customs/traffic etc.?

I agree that since it sounds like you won't have much time you should have everything you need with you.

IF it were my trip I would have planned to spend 1 night in LA before the cruise but everyone travels differently.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

well you will have to check in any large toiletries in your checked in bags anyway to fly to the US and can just carry that small quart bag with travel size stuff. You may or may not get the stuff you use at the airport which will carry just travel size plus what Yogachik said.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,439 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

The airport is probably one of the more expensive places to buy anything. Is there a cruise forum you can ask for information? Other travelers must have had to do some shopping before shoving off.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

We arrive at 6:40 am at LAX and ship sails from World Cruise Center at 4 pm. Is that not sufficient time to progress through customs and immigration and take a cab down to Cruise Terminal? I would have thought so but please correct me if am wrong, I guess I can buy the toiletries on the ship - also overpriced!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

Yes, the amount of time sounds like it is fine.

The advice often given on the cruise web site related to this one:

www.cruisecritic.com

is that if you are flying you might as well come in a day early just in case of flight delays.

IF your plane is on time it sounds like you will have plenty of time to take a taxi and stop off at a pharmacy or supermarket on the way to buy whatever you need.

BTW you need to be on the ship usually at least an hour before it sails.

You can use Google maps to find a store that's on your way or I suppose you could ask another question on here or on CruiseCritic in the port of LA forum there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

if you arrive at 6.40 you should be out in a couple of hours at most and definitely by 9am and the cruise terminal is about 20 miles from LAX and during the day it won't take more than 30 to 40 minutes to get there. You have plenty of time. I would even suggest you book a room at the LAX travelodge which I hear has day rates and as mentioned ask the cab driver to take you to a walgreens or a cvs or any grocery store enroute to get your items

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

Thank you for your good advice which I will heed.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

Your cruise may sail at 4 PM but we often arrive to the dock around 10am and get in line to get our Sea Pass, documents, etc. we hand in our luggage to the porters and just have our purses or backpacks to board. They allow you on the top swimming pool deck on the ship, and start serving a luncheon buffet all afternoon. You are welcomed to sit around the pool or look around the ship as they ready it for sail away.

Most ships then open the doors to the staterooms at 1:00 PM and you are free to go to your room to settle in. Sometimes you are lucky and your luggage will be waiting inside, or maybe it will arrive later. Your cabin steward will introduce themselves to you as you unpack. Muster drill is usually a half hour before sailing.

Head toward the ship from LAX and stop in San Pedro for the sundries you are looking for. If you check on Cruise Critic this is a question asked many times, as others want to buy wine and soft drinks if their ship allows and you will find the right answer. Since we live locally we bring items from home and head to the ship mid morning. Enjoy your day on the ship before you sail!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping at Terminal 4 LAX AP

There is a very nice Sephora store in the Manhattan Village Mall not far from the airport with abig variety of upscale cosmetics. The cosmetics at most supermarkets are not high quality. Guess it depends on what you want.