We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX to Staples Centre on a Sunday afternoon?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
LAX to Staples Centre on a Sunday afternoon?

Hi guys,

How long would it take me in a taxi from a hotel in the vicinity of LAX to get to the Staples Centre late on a Sunday afternoon? Thinking of buying tickets to a LA Kings preseason game on September 15. Also, what would the taxi cost approximately? Lastly, would it be easy enough to get a taxi back after the game?

Cheers!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,816 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX to Staples Centre on a Sunday afternoon?

Obviously, a lot depends on traffic. The route is very clean -- 105 east from LAX to 110 north to downtown. Car pool lanes are avsilable almost all the way. Without traffic and with a knowledgeable driver, 20 minutes. Thirty minutes is more reasonable. The challenge will be navigating the Staples Center crush. Traffic tends to back up as the 110 approaches the 10 interchange and the Staples Center exit at 9th Street.

To avoid this, the driver can bail out at Exposition and take Figueroa north to the Staples Center. Whether your driver is this smart, who knows. I'd suggest arriving early or even spending the whole day downtown before the game. If you decide to do this, another option to get downtown is to take the Flyaway shuttle to Union Station from there, you'd catch the subway a few stops to 7th & Metro and walk a few blocks down to Staples Center.

I wouldn't use a taxi. I recently discovered Uber. It is a vastly superior service. You can't hail a cab in LA except in restricted areas. Finding one after the game might be tricky. With Uber, it is a piece of cake.

HTH

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX to Staples Centre on a Sunday afternoon?

Generally its not a problem to find a taxi outside of Staples Center after a game - there are usually many waiting outside the arena. Of course, you can always arrange with the taxi driver who takes you there to pick you up afterwards, or get the number for his taxi company. Generally, I'd concur that on a Sunday afternoon unless there are unforeseen road closures or traffic accidents, LAX to Staples should be around 30 minutes to get from LAX to the vicinity of Staples Center, but then you will have a lot of traffic in the immediate area of Staples Center due to people coming for the game - it can take some extra time to get through this.

3. Re: LAX to Staples Centre on a Sunday afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:19