We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ID ?

llantwit major
Level Contributor
162 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which ID ?

My daughter & her friend both 21 are gonna be staying in Beverly Hills for a week end of sept ..what ID will they need to take out with them to bars clubs etc , will their UK driving license be ok or will they need their passport ? Thanx

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ID ?

California law says it is supposed to be the passport only. (Only US issued drivers licenses are approved). But some places might accept the UK license.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,599 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ID ?

The only legally acceptable ID would be your passport, but even then a bar does not have to accept it.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,700 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which ID ?

I can't imagine traveling anywhere in the world without my passport on my person.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which ID ?

I have both a passport and a passport card, and usually have the passport card in my wallet, even in the USA.

If the UK issues them, it is an acceptable form of ID, but as mentioned above, in California, bars can pretty much refuse anone, even if it is a proper type of ID, due to fraud and "sharing" ID's. All bars get a book that shows how to verify ID's for all the US issued ID's/Drivers Licenses, but that doesn't help in the sharing issue. I used to work in a bar, where we would have people sign on a piece of paper a couple of times to match them up, and even had special arrangements with the military and local police in collecting bad ID's. (We were one of the first places that paid the front door folks a bounty if they found a bad ID, which has become more of a standard now).

We also were a training place for the local enforcement officials, where they took their new hires/undercover folks to see how it is supposed to be done.

Plain and simple, California is a stickler on alcohol sales, bring a good, valid ID such as a passport, and be prepared to be told no, even if everything is kosher. A Liquor license right now is usually worth Hundreds of thousands of dollars for a bar, and there is no way they want to risk losing it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
875 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which ID ?

Passport.

6. Re: Which ID ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:22