We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
5 posts
Save Topic
What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

My husband and I will be taking our two children to the LA area for the first two weeks of December. My daughter will be having a surgery at Cedar Sinai when we arrive so the first two or three days will be to relax; but we have to stay in town until her follow up appointment 10 days later. At the time we visit, my daughter will be 18 months old and my son will be 3. We will have a car and we are renting a house in West Hollywood. Can anyone give us some suggestions of things to keep the little ones (and ourselves) busy, but not exhausted?

We were thinking- Sea World, San Diego Zoo (we thought about staying a night in San Diego to avoid all the driving in one day), Santa Monica Pier.

Any other suggestions?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

Disneyland for sure should be on the agenda. LA has a pretty good zoo, not as great as San Diego's which is truly world class, but a lot closer to get to. There's also the Merry-Go-Round and pony rides in Griffith Park, and your 3 year old boy if he's in to cowboys would probably enjoy the Autry National Center (museum about cowboys and the American west focusing on films and TV - started by the legendary Gene Autry). On the other side of Griffith Park there's also the outdoor Travel Town train museum which is great for kids. Another good side trip would be to head to Long Beach for the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,883 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

I don't know about hauling the kids to the SD Zoo, but I sure can second the recommendation for the L.A. Zoo. Zoo itself is worth a day, and the rest of Griffith Park could be another trip (or you can put the Merry Go Round onto the Zoo Day). Autry Museum is fabulous.

The beach is one of the most popular things for little tykes and there are several just across town from West Hollywood.

Long Beach aquarium would be great for two little ones.

To get out of urban L.A. and environs, consider heading north to Santa Barbara...

Asheville, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

We are looking into both Disneyland and the San Diego Zoo. Do you think that they would be 'too much' for the kids. How long does it take to get through them and is Disneyland worth it for a 3 year old who probably won't be able to ride many rides? Also how busy are these places in the first couple of weeks of December. (We would definitely go mid week if they are open)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,747 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

When my daughter was that age we spent a long time in a different city for medical reasons. One of her favorite things to do was going to city parks. Every park has different climbing equipment, swing sets, play toys, and so on. So my recommendation is to look for smaller 'attractions' for some of your days. A picnic lunch and a new playground could be a great way to spend some time.

----------

Adding ..

Disneyland is always open and would be incredibly fun.

San Diego Zoo is pretty big. Are your kids patient when looking for hidden big animals, or do they prefer things a bit more accessible?

Edited: 31 August 2013, 03:37
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,457 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

There is actually lots for a 3 year old at Disneyland since its set up for families to do alot of things together.

Crowds should not be too bad in early December.

With two weeks I would definitely consider splitting my stay, and stay in San Diego as well, its a wonderful City to visit for families with lots to do.

Asheville, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

So after a little research, Disney is definitely a go. Probably going to pass on SD Zoo/Seaworld, and I love the aquarium idea, my husband really wants to do the whale watch. Someone tell me about Santa Barbara....

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

Knott's "Merry" Farm in Buena Park! See the ice show starring Snoopy and featuring Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, and world class figure skaters. See their holiday parade with all the Peanuts characters, the tree lighting show, carolers, and a crafts fair. Eat at the famous Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.

Asheville, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

We may make it down to SD for a couple of days but we've already paid to rent the house for the two weeks.

Asheville, North...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

They've never really seen Peanuts (shame on me) and I'm not sure Olivia would stay quiet for an ice show. BUT I did just find the Fillmore & Western North Pole Train ride. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,406 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do for two weeks in LA with two little ones

I highly recommend LA Zoo. It has had some excellent, recent renovations. It's a good size and a great educational resource. I like it far better in that regard than San Diego Zoo, which, in general, only provides you a map with a star indicating where the animal is from. Far more detailed and interesting info on the animals at LA Zoo.

Lots of fun places for little ones in Griffith Park: http://www.laparks.org/dos/parks/griffithpk/

There are lots of parks and playgrounds to visit. redtri.com/los-angeles/…

Echo Park, I believe, has been recently renovated. www.yelp.com/biz/echo-park-lake-los-angeles

The museums: LA County Museum of Natural History and the California Science Center are side-by-side near USC. Lots of great stuff for kids. Here's a link to more childrens' museums:

redtri.com/los-angeles/…

Indoor playspaces: …cbslocal.com/top-lists/…

Riding the trolley at The Grove is a delight for children.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 05:01