We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

Hi,

My partner is at LAX tonight and I need to get some money to him. I've sent it via Western Union but now I don't know if there is anywhere at LAX for him to collect. He is only there on a connection and will be in Terminal 3. Does anyone know? It says there is a currency exchange, but doesn't say if they do Western Union.

Any help appreciated!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

well. Depends what time tonight and for how long after clearing immigration . Here is the info from the Western Union Site. He could go to Ralphs Supermarket and get it there and that would be by cab.

http://locations.westernunion.com/search/ca/los+angeles?q=LAX

Edited: 08 September 2013, 00:48
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

Why does it have to be by Western Union? Can't you simply put the funds into a bank account of his and have him draw them out via his ATM Card?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

The last time I sent money through WU, they gave me a list of addresses in the town where I was sending money to. Didn't they give you a list of locations close to LAX? There are 4 locations nearest to the airport, none inside the airport:

http://locations.westernunion.com/search/ca/los+angeles?q=90045

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

If you've already sent it, it's within the WU system and now he must go to one to collect it. Ralph's usually has them - tell him to take a taxi.

"Currency exchange" in an airport generally means that for a very stiff fee, they will change one nation's currency to another. It is not a branch of WU.

It's really better to travel with some kind of credit or debit card (either one can have funds applied to it quickly, but debit cards are especially good for this, credit cards can take a day or two to post).

If he doesn't get it in LA, where is he going next? Do they have WU there? Can you go get the money back or can only he retrieve it?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

I had to do this for someone who got his wallet lifted and needed cash fast. He did travel with credit card and bank ATM card, but of course those were gone together with his wallet.

6. Re: URGENT: Picking up Western Union at LAX??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:21