We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in LA onto Honolulu

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wiltshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Transit in LA onto Honolulu

I am travelling from Mexico city to Honolulu changing in LA (arrival and departure from terminal 2) and I have 90 minutes to collect baggage and check in for the Honolulu flight, do I go through immigration/customs? and does anyone know if 90 minutes will be enough time? Thanks

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,473 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit in LA onto Honolulu

From the US Customs and Border Protection website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/458/~/when-does-a-traveler-clear-u.s.-customs-and-border-protection

"At what point during a traveler's trip to the U.S. does a traveler clear U.S. Customs and Border Protection?

If the final destination is in the U.S. and the first port of arrival is in the U.S., travelers must clear immigration and customs at the first port of entry.

If a connection is involved, the traveler will not be required to go through another clearance when they arrive at their final destination."

So yes, you will need to clear immigration and customs. I don't think 90 minutes is enough time. If it were me, I'd change the Hawaii leg of the flight.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,104 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit in LA onto Honolulu

Is your home country UK?

You need an ESTA to come into the USA if that is the case.

Are the 2 flights booked on the same ticket and are they in the same terminal???

You will go through immigration , get your luggage, go through customs and then depending on if you are on one ticket or different tix you will either hand the luggage back to someone or need to take it with you to the next flight. IF the 2nd flight is in a different terminal you will also have to go through security there soooo 90min. is quite tight!

Edited: 09 September 2013, 20:24
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit in LA onto Honolulu

Are you still shopping flights, and this is one option you're considering, or have you purchased the tickets and are just now wondering if you have enough time? As stated above (and on many, many previous posts; also the airline(s) would tell you), you will go through Immigration and Customs at the first U.S. port of entry. After Immigration, you'll get your bags, then go through Customs, which is usually just a matter of handing over a form you got on the first plane and had initialed by the Immigration officer. Then, assuming the flights were booked together and, if there are two airlines, they have an interline agreement, you hand over your bags at a transit desk, then go through TSA security to your domestic flight (to HNL).

Both tickets were purchased together? Same airline? I'm guessing you're arriving on Aeromexico (or Volaris?) and departing on Hawaiian. If you miss your connection, the airline of your second flight would usually put you on the next flight with available seats, but that may not be the very next flight, and if the delay wasn't something that was their responsibility (e.g., delay in Immigration), they may not pay for a hotel if you have to spend the night. Plus, flights to Hawaii are often sold out.

If you haven't bought your tickets, go for a longer connection time. Whether or not you have bought them, confirm with the airlines whether you bags will be transferred, and what will happen if you miss your connection.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 20:32
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit in LA onto Honolulu

Agree with the advice above, but also note (and this has happened to me when returning to LA from Mexico) if immigration/customs is not available in terminal 2 when you arrive, you will be bused to the international terminal for customs and therefore would need to get back to terminal 2. They will usually bus you back if needed. This could add quite a lot of extra time.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit in LA onto Honolulu

Thank you all for your quick response, I've used STA in the UK who advised 90 minutes would be enough time but I can see it certainly isn't. I have the ESTA visa, and im booked on 2 different airlines but using the same ticket. After reading your replies I'll get onto them and change the connection.

6. Re: Transit in LA onto Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2013, 22:06
7. Re: Transit in LA onto Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:17