We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
309 reviews
Save Topic
LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

Hi,

I am planning a Southern California 2 weeks trip in mid-August 2014. Going alone with my 2 daughters who will be 7 and 16. The 16 years old wants to see Stars Houses (not sure I'm all into that, but hey!). Considering that we won't be driving, and that the 7 years old cannot walk for hours, I looked at the Hop On/Hop Off tour bus and it seems that I would hit major attractions that interest us in an 'easy' fashion. We get bored of shopping after about 30 min., so I feel there are many stop where we won't stop. At 76 $ for 3 days, I find it rather cheap. Does this itinerary make sense? Too ambitious, not enough? missing anything? Some thing I put together don't make sense?

(Days 1 to 5 Anaheim)

Day 5 : transfer from Anaheim in the Am and to the Star's Home classic tour.

Day 6: View sights Hollywood-Beverly Hills (red line) and downtown LA (purple)

(stop and visit Mme Tussaud, Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, La Brea Tar Pits) AM

(stop and visit Walt Disney Concert Hall and LA's 'time square')

Day 7: View sights Beverly Hills-Santa Monica (yellow line) and Malibu Star's Home Tour

(stop and visit Marylin Monroe's graveyard, Santa Monica Pier)

Day 8: View sights Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, Venice Beach (green line hop on hop off)

(stop and visit Fisherman’s village, venice pier, venice canals, venice boardwalk)

Day 9 : Universal Studios

Jour 10: Warner Bros VIP Tour (or deluxe) and Getty Center

Day 11 would be transfer to beach area and stay there until plane on day 14.

Does it make sense? Now, can you recommend a hotel/motel with a pool? Nothing fancy (best western plus is usually a category we enjoy) that would have 2 double beds. Probably around 150 $ a night that would be central to what we are trying to visit?

Thank you!

Isabelle

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,666 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

There are no hotels in that budget - not at that time of year - so start by planning to raise it and figure in tax of 15%. About $200/night for the LA portion of your trip. Look in Hollywood where hotel rates are lowest.

If you're transferring to the beach for a few days, there's no need to take the HOHO to SM, Venice, Marina del Rey , Malibu and Getty Center. There are no tours of Malibu stars homes that I know of, nor would you want to do it - it's easily done just by driving PCH or walking the beach.

With 14 days, it's a shame to stick only to LA/Anaheim. I would suggest a few days in San Diego. However, all beach cities have higher hotel rates than anywhere else.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

Yogachick : thank you. I am not yet sure my beach stay will be SM/Venice. I am still exploring where I'd like to go for that segment of the trip. We might do Huntington beach or another beach area.

Let's say I up my budget for the Hollywood to 200 a night. I've looked at the main page of the Hollywood hotel on here, and a few look good. Specific suggestions?

Oups, I'm excluding SF (wanna go with the hubby one day) and S Diego (as I'll go for a conference next year). I am not driving, so driving PCH to Malibu won't work!

Thank you!

Edited: 11 September 2013, 16:44
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

You mention "(stop and visit Walt Disney Concert Hall and LA's 'time square') "

I'm not sure what that means. Walt Disney Concert Hall is downtown, where there are other attractions and things to do and see. I am not sure what LA's time square means, unless refering to Hollywood Blvd. at Highland. If you think it's going to look like Times Square, you'll be very disappointed! I don't think I can draw a single parallel between LA and NYC, not a one!

So, if you are referring to Hollywood Blvd., it is right where the bus tours begin and where the attractions you mention for day 6.

You don't have a lot of activities that I think would appeal to your younger child. You might wish to take a look at this most recent thread, there are some great answers.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k683009…

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

magic castle hotel is around your budget and walkable to walk of stars.. Gets good reviews here so we booked 1 night there. Rated # 1 for families here and unlimited snacks! ::))

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

PlumeriaD : I read in a travel that guide that the Nokia Center was like NYC timesquare and I thought that the girls might be impressed. Forgot to change my notes before I posted! Thanks for the warning...

I guess I kind of forgot my youngest daughter in the planning of the LA days... after all, she gets to be primary target for all of the Anaheim and beach days! I'll take a look at the list of activities for kids you suggest!

Thank you!

Palmtree: I am also looking at magic castle. Let me know how it is after you try it !

6. Re: LA planning for teen and 7 yrd old - itinerary and hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:17