We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Beach to Long Beach

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Venice Beach to Long Beach

Hi folks

We will be visiting LA for two days / three nights in November, stopping in Venice Beach. We would like to spend one day on Long Beach, to see the RMS Queen Mary and the USS Iowa. Two questions:

- would we be better getting a cab on the day, or booking something in advance?

- how long might it take to get from one to the other?

Yes, I know they are a long way apart from each other; and no, I'm not going to drive myself! :-)

Thanks!

Andrew

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,295 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Beach to Long Beach

Try using metro.net or Google maps to determine the length of time and how to get to Long Beach. It looks like you can take the green line and the blue line, but it's going to take 2 hours or so.

If you want to determine cab fare, this link can be helpful: http://rainbowdrivein.com/ It looks like it will be in excess of $80 one way, so that's not a good option.

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Beach to Long Beach

Thanks for that. If we go at all, though, it will be by cab / car in some form, not my public transit.

The second link you gave is for a restaurant - was that a mistake?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,295 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Beach to Long Beach

Shoot, I forgot to copy the cab fare link! http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=LA&from=Venice%2C+Los+Angeles%2C+CA&to=Long+Beach%2C+CA

That's much better.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,370 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Beach to Long Beach

If you're okay with using a 'shared van' service, like Prime Time Shuttle, they offer service between any Santa Monica hotel and the Long Beach port (Queen Mary/Catalina Cruises area) for $57 (each way, total cost for two persons).

This is a significant savings to a taxi but the transfer will, likely, take longer than a taxi since the van can stop to pick up and/or drop off other passengers. They also offer a 'goSedan' (car service) for $84.96 which includes tip (each way, for up to 3 persons).

Prime Time's website is hard to navigate. To book a transfer to the port (and back), follow these steps:

a. Go to redvans.com

b. Under "To the Airport", click on 'round trip' (Prime Time lists the harbors under 'airports' on their website.

c. On the page that follows, click on the 'select your airport' drop-down menu and pick

Catlaina Express - LB - Queen Mary

d. Under 'departing flight', select the date/time you wish to arrive in Long Beach (Note: you might need to select a time that is later than your intended arrival time since the Prime Time website may attempt to drop you an hour (or more) before your intended 'departure time'. Play with the departure time a little until you find a 'drop off' time that's suitable.

e. Select your hotel from the hotel 'drop down' menu.

f. Select the number of passengers

g. In the right-hand column, click the 'arrival time' (time at which you wish to leave Long Beach -- again, you might need to make this earlier than you intend since the website will allow you time 'to get off the plane and get your luggage from baggage claim' -- I know: there's no plane but that's the way their website works. So play with the time a little.

g. Click 'continue'.

The page that follows will list the transfer options. AT THE BOTTOM OF THAT PAGE are a number of pick up times. Select one of those; if none of these are suitable, go back to the previous page and change the time on that page.

The GoSedan is a great value since the cost is fixed no matter how long the trip takes. If you're stuck in rush hour traffic and you take a taxi, the meter will continue to run whilst you're standing still -- adding to the fare.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice Beach to Long Beach

Be aware that the USS Iowa is docked in San Pedro, not Long Beach.

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice Beach to Long Beach

Thank you, everyone, especially HopSkipJump for your detailed advice. I think that's everything I need to know!

7. Re: Venice Beach to Long Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 05:17