We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Booking Question

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Booking Question

This is probably a dumb question, but we don't do a lot of travelling where hotel stay is necessary. Is there a better time of year to make a hotel reservation or is price usually dictated more by the dates of your stay. We are looking at June 15-20/21, 2014 and are unsure if we should find a room & book now or if there may be more incentive to wait and watch prices. Looking at Magic Castle Hotel or something in that range as an option. Thank you for any help.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,815 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Booking Question

Price is dictated by supply and demand so that if you stay during a convention or busy holiday week then prices will be higher than if you stay at an off peak time.

Most of the time you can book a room on a hotel web site and just hold the res with a credit card. You won't actually pay for it until you leave the hotel. IF you see a lower price after you book you can always cancel your res and then rebook. There is always a date listed on the hotels site by which you can cancel without any penalty. Often it is 24hrs. before your arrival sometimes it is 72hrs. or a week.

There are some hotel rooms that show lower prices that must be paid for immediately. Often these cannot be canceled so read carefully before you book something.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 20:26
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,019 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Booking Question

I just book the room and keep checking prices. You can cancel the first reservation if you get a better deal later. I've been known to keep two reservations if I'm not exactly sure which area to stay in.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Booking Question

Rates are at their lowest from October to February for June dates. We see sales posted every year at this time.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Booking Question

Thank you for the comments. I may keep an eye on the prices into October and then book something, but continue to watch for any good deals.

5. Re: Hotel Booking Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:19