We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday across usa

Western Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
holiday across usa

hi, we are a family of 4 children, 9 adults going to America in the month of march/April.

I have spent hours researching an have come up with an itinerary.

LA - VEGAS

VEGAS - YOSEMITE

YOSEMITE - SAN FRANCISCO

This leg of the trip am thinking of hiring 2 mini vans and driving to these destinations. To save money, thinking of staying in places like motel 6, super 8 and red robin's.

Fly from san Francisco to new York.

NEW YORK - PHILADELPHIA - NEW JERSEY - WASHINGTON DC - NASHVILLE - MEMPHIS - MAKE OUR WAY ACROSS BACK TO LOS ANGELES?

Hiring 2 mini vans and driving to these different destinations.

does anyone see anything wrong with itinerary? Is it wise to be driving about new York. I've heard its very hard to drive around the city. Are there train systems safe?

I have been on the west coast before but have travelled across only as far as Texas. Do you think we can complete all of this in 4 weeks?

Would love your opinions. Thanks.

6-Hour Los Angeles City Tour
202 reviews
from US$79.00*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
182 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles Hop-on Hop-off Double...
582 reviews
from US$49.00*
Go Los Angeles Card
129 reviews
from US$85.00*
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday across usa

You can but it will be rushed. Lots of hours on the road. However, with that many adults you can keep each's behind the wheel time down. Lots to see on the journey. New York City isn't the best place to drive. Subways... crashes are very rare. Or is this one of those questions that you dug up watching old movies?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday across usa

I'd recommend you start a thread in the Road Trips forum for help with planning out most of this trip: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

And for help with the California part of this trip I would recommend you start a thread in the general California forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Then more people will see this.

In March, there will be issues with driving to Yosemite, including the possibility of snow or ice on the mountain roads or Tule Fog in the central valley of California. There aren't any cheap motels at Yosemite, but with a group as large as yours, you might be able to rent a whole house in an area such as Foresta. For these reasons I would recommend you start another thread in the Yosemite forum for help with planning your time in that park: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315-Yosemi…

Edited: 21 September 2013, 06:24
LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday across usa

There is a road trip forum. Make sure and post there too.

The first part of the trip in California is doable comfortably in two weeks. Bear in mind that March / April is a fairly rainy time as winter ends and spring starts. You will have to enter Yosemite from the west side, as the east side entrance over Tioga Pass will be closed.

The remaining loop seems like too much for a comfortable road trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday across usa

If you stay in centrally located hotels, you could take public transportation while in New York City, from New York City to Philadelphia, while in Philadelphia, from Philadelphia to Washington, and while in Washington. So you wouldn't need to rent vans until you're ready to leave Washington. These east coast cities are congested, and parking is inconvenient and expensive.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,503 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday across usa

Do post in the Road Trip Forum, it will be really helpful

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

I would do this very differently.

Arrive at LAX, rent the vans and drive up the coast and cut over to Yosemite from Monterey, back to SFO and then fly from SFO to Las Vegas after having seen San Francisco. The reason for this is Yosemite is not easy to get to from Las Vegas in the winter because the mountain passes are mostly closed. There are very few ways through. (see chart below)

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm

You can drop the vans for the first leg at SFO as vans/cars are not needed in SF and I think are actually a hassle. You don't need cars in Las Vegas either.

Here is the drive from LAX.

http://goo.gl/maps/XGX5I

6. Re: holiday across usa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:18