We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

My boyfriend and I are visting LA for the first time arriving Monday 30th Sep departing Friday 4th October. We're in our early 30's, English and Irish (but live in the UAE) not too fussed by museums or clubbing - quite like bars with good food and drink though!

We're planning on renting a car for the duration as recommended.

We're staying in the Hotel Palomar West Hollywood and looking for advice on what to do.

So far, we've booked in for the Warner Brother's Tour for one of the mornings and planning to visit the following:

- Beverley Hills & Rodeo Drive

- Santa Monica & Venice beach

- Hollywood Sign & Walk of Fame

- Griffith Park & Observatory

- Farmers Market and The Grove Shopping Centre

- Outlet Mall shopping - which one is the best?

- Visit to La Descarga for drinks

Is there anything else that people would recommend for us to do whilst we're there?

Also, is casual dress generally the accepted way in LA? I undrestand from our La Descarga reservation that this place is an exception to the rule.

Any help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance guys!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

First, a small correction - Hotel Palomar is in Westwood near UCLA, not in West Hollywood - these are two distinct areas separated by a few miles. Palomar is near the "village" section of Westwood which has lots of bars and restaurants catering to the UCLA students as well as to office workers from nearby commercial office buildings.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

I like your itinerary. Only one comment, in off-season, Venice Beach may be really quiet. Don't be surprised if you don't see anything much, as the street performers and street vendors will likely not be there. Only on weekends during off season, and if it rains (it shouldn't), no one will be there!

Have a wonderful time!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

I would add Downtown LA to your list, especially if you like bars with good food. Here are a few recommendations.

Sixth Street Tavern - Great pub menu.

Spring Street Bar - Good happy hour prices and some pretty good sandwiches.

Coles - Bar and restaurant

Villains Tavern - A bit out of the way in the Arts District, but well worth it. Great food, often live music, and a great atmosphere. They are true mixologists and make the best Old Fashioned

Perch - They have decent food, but a great rooftop bar with great views and good food options.

The Parish - Kind of a gastro pub style restaurant with great drinks, and amazing food.

Downtown LA is by far the most lively area right now, with a ton of new bars are restaurants. Well worth the visit.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 20:21
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

P.S. This should be open when you arrive (I hope, I'm waiting for it to open) but Peking Tavern is a new Chinese style gastro pub that promises to be a good option.

https://www.facebook.com/pekingtavern

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

The one Outlet Mall in the city of LA is the Citadel Outlets, a large and good outlet mall, with lots of variety.

www.citadeloutlets.com

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,253 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

I like the Palomar a lot, have stayed there a couple times (and I live here!). Nearby, you have Century City with lots of shopping and restaurants. Beverly Hills has a lot of bars as well, but don't miss Santa Monica at night. It really is alive at night, especially Main Street and the area along Ocean near the Promenade. Amazing restaurants and bars.

LA is a casual town, it's more trendy than dressy (jeans and designer heels eg).It's more about the accessories than how dressy the outfit is (jewelry, shoes, bag, shawl).

The best outlet, if you must go to an outlet (I've never found anything there), is Camarillo or Desert Premium in Palm Springs - a car is necessary.

Don't miss Rivera for drinks. Try to have one meal on Abbot Kinney - all the restaurants are excellent. Tasting Kitchen for drinks, especially.

San Bruno...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

I second the downtown LA recommendations! Also go to Little Tokyo for great Japanese food.

Dubai
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

Wow guys, excellent recommendations - thank you all so much!!

So excited for the trip and will post my thoughts upon our return...

Edited: 25 September 2013, 07:55
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

The rooftop bar at Perch looks good - do you need to make a reservation for the bar? (That may be a stupid question but you have to for a lot of rooftop bars in London).

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LA First Timers 4 Nights Sep - Oct

Just got back from there - this may be too late but get a 48 hour hop on hop off tour - you can use it again and again (we went all round and then used it as a bus) and it covers

Beverley Hills & Rodeo Drive

Universal studios area (not inside obviously)

Downtown

Santa Monica & Venice beach

Hollywood Sign & Walk of Fame (although only from a distance, you can't get close)

Farmers Market and The Grove Shopping Centre

Studio City

Outlet Mall shopping

You will have to drive yourself to Griffith Park & Observatory - it was foggy when we were there so there was no chance, good luck with that.

Go to The House of Blues and Comedy club - over the road from each other and both great

Have a great time!