We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit through LAX

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transit through LAX

We are traveling through the US from Australia on a one world circle fare with awards points. I need to add a paid fare taking us from Las Vegas to LA to connect up with our outbound flight from LA back to Perth via Brisbane on Qantas.

I am thinking of flying AA to try and get our luggage checked straight through from Vegas (but not sure if I can as the flights will be on 2 separate tickets). Can I please get some advice as to how much time I should allow for the transit? There is an AA flight arriving in LA at 20.10 and our Qantas flight to Brisbane departs at 23.50. Will that allow enough time considering I think we need to find our way between terminals and if we have to claim luggage and re-check in at LA? Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,479 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit through LAX

Since the flight is not on the RTW ticket, you may not be able to check your bags through but since the airlines are one world perhaps they may do it. In any case 3 hours should be fine to transfer between flights . Land, collect bags, switch terminals, check bags in, go to security and then to the Quantas gate

You may want to look at Southwest Airlines which does not charge for bags but if you are an elite passenger on the one world system, American won't charge you for bags

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit through LAX

Call AA to make sure your bags will be sent straight through AND you will get your international boarding pass at LAS. And that they won't charge you for bags. And that your bag allowance would be that for an international flight. Allow plenty of time between the two flights. They'd have to check your passports at LAX so you don't have to go to the AA check-in counter at LAX (just the airline; no government exit passport controls in the U.S.). . I think you'll be fine, but I'd call to make sure there's an advantage to flying AA.

We once took AA from DCA to MIA to connect to a separately-ticketed TAM flight to Brazil. AA tagged our bags for Brazil, but we had to get our TAM boarding passes at MIA.

If you take Southwest to LAX, you would definitely have to pick up your bags and transfer them to AA and check-in there (a free shuttle bus circulates between terminals). If you miss your AA flight, you'd likely be screwed, but if you allow enough time it shouldn't be a worry.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 15:32
3. Re: Transit through LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:17