We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

I'm planning to visit LA in December and am wondering which carrier I should be flying with. Here are the best deals I have found so far:

Cathay

SIN-HKG-LAX and back

SGD $1950

Transit of 2h and 6h respectively

Airplanes: Boeing 777-300 and 777-300ER

Air China

SIN-PEK-LAX and back

SGD $1309

Transit of 5.5h and 7h respectively

Airplanes: Boeing 777-300 and Airbus A330-300

The price difference of $600 is quite significant (for a student like me!) I'm not a very fussy traveller, although decent in-flight entertainment and food would be a huge plus.

I wouldn't mind travelling with Air China but I've read many horror stories about how flights are delayed, passengers are not very considerate (although there's nothing that can be done about that), service crew are not very nice... but it does sound like their standard has been improving!

Which would you recommend?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

Jose - I can't answer your question for you but you may want to also post this question in the Air Travel forum - your chances of getting an answer from people who can give you the advantages and disadvantages of each airline will be greater in that forum.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

I flew Air China to China and the service was GREAT!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the LA forum, josefeenz. As you become more used to TripAdvisor, you will see that everything is organized by place. This is the Los Angeles forum, and we can help with your questions about our city. For each city you intend to visit, do a Google search for that city's TripAdvisor forum: "TripAdvisor San Francisco forum" for example.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

There is a reason for the price difference and that is the service, food, beverage service, and entertainment. Only you can decide whether it is worth it to you to take the lower price. I have not flown on Air China except for short flights within the country where these amenities did not apply. My brother has, and he says "never again".

Edited: 09 October 2013, 21:20
San Diego...
Level Contributor
78 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

$600, at least for me is a bit of a no brainier. both are designed to get you to the same place. Both will be approx the same duration. Take a nap and call it a day and pocket the $600 you will be glad you did

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
831 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

Cathay! I think your air transit times are off or I'm reading it wrong. Have you priced Singapore Airlines?

I was only thankful to make a safe roundtrip on Air China....entertainment, service, and any other amenity wasn't on my radar.

7. Re: Cathay vs Air China for SIN-LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 05:17