We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

Hi, my friend is coming to visit me in LA for the first time with his young son. He needs a reasonable rate in a safe place in SM. I live here so I don't ever have to stay at a hotel. When I looked up prices at some of the cute hotels in SM I was shocked at the sticker price. Does anyone have any suggestions for SM? I guess he could stay in Culver City too, but that's pretty far from where I live (up the coast from SM).

He is from Washington State where prices are lower, so this is proving to be a challenge...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

What is his budget for a hotel? To some, $200 a night including taxes is reasonable. We can help better if we know more.

Did you check the Sea Shore Motel yet?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

Have him take a look at Villa Brasil Motel.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d657068-…

HTH

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

What would be his budget? Unfortunately Santa Monica is a pricey area for hotels - everything near the Promenade / beach is going to be expensive, especially during peak season. Depending on his budget, he might want to look somewhere outside of Santa Monica that's not too far away, like the Hotel Angeleno next to Sunset and the 405, or perhaps somewhere like Hilgard House or Hotel Palomar in Westwood. Or, maybe somewhere like Foghorn Inn in Marina Del Rey.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

Angeleno is on sale now for $149/night. That's cheap, even for LA, let alone the westside.

Santa Monica is expensive - even the Travelodge on Pico is close to $200/night. Or try using an app like HotelTonight, you'll find things under 200, but you have to wait until after 12 noon to find hotels (up to 4 night stay)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33052-d82049-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33052-d81245-R…

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

Thanks everyone!

I ended up sending my friend links to The Fog Horn Harbor Inn, The MdR Doubletree Hotel and the Angelino. I was kind of hoping he would choose the Fog Horn, but he ended up at the Angelino. Actually, thru hotels.com, their prices couldn't be beat.

I'm really glad to know about these cool local hotels!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

Angelino is a good choice, and hopefully close to you as well. The freeway location is good for getting around LA and seeing the sites.

Thanks for getting back to us.

8. Re: Reasonable hotel in SM for single dad and his 6 year old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:17