We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

Champaign...
2 posts
Save Topic
Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

Hello All,

My boyfriend and I are traveling to Anaheim for a conference he needs to attend for work. I am going to go to the obvious Disneyland at least one day. We arrive on a Tuesday afternoon in Anaheim. His conference is W-F. We plan on going to San Diego for Saturday and Sunday. This is my question: If I go to Disneyland for only one day (which is it possible to wander the whole park in one day?), what is phesable for me to do in LA? I want to do things such as potentially tour a movie studio, go to the Chinese theater (have to stand in George colony's footprints) and even thought about Beverly hills. I was thinking about taking the rail to get to LA and then doing one of the "hop on hop off" tours to see a lot of things. Is this possible with traffic times, and then getting back to Anaheim? I don't want to plan too much and wear myself out. Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Egyptian Theatre
Historic Sites, Movie Theatres, Theatres, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cupcake Theater
Comedy Clubs, Performances, Theatres, Cabarets
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

Well, it sounds like you might have a car.

So maybe a day at Universal Studios, and on the way back, stop at the Hollywood and Highland Center to park and check out the TCL Chinese Theater (located in the center).

If you don't have access to a vehicle, maybe this tour from Gray Line Anaheim....

graylineanaheim.com/toursAna.cfm/…1021

Do you like to shop? Plenty of good shopping in the Anaheim area, which you don't need a vehicle for.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c168883/Anahei…

As for the Disneyland Resort, it is not possible to see all of Disneyland in one day, you can see a lot, but not all. But the Resort has both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure plus Downtown Disney. A popular package includes a 3 day ParkHopper for visitors, and that will allow you to see most of both parks. So it depends, do you want a few highlights, or truly experience the Disneyland Resort.

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
30,710 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood & Highland
Hollywood & Highland
375 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Disney California Adventure Park
Disney California...
13,403 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Downtown Disney
Downtown Disney
7,886 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

Yes, you can go by rail into L.A.. and then take the Hop On, Hop Off (HoHo), There is only one such tour, btw. Several companies 're-sell' the tour but there's only one. Here are the details:

starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-HOHO.asp

There are several 'tour loops' in the tour (you can't see everything in one day) so look over the loops and decide. Trains from Anaheim come into downtown's Union Station and downtown is at the eastern end of our city -- not in the center.

Here's a map that shows the popular neighborhoods:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

Anaheim is 'off the map' in the lower right corner.

Depending on the areas you explore, you could return to Anaheim via the Disneyland Express Bus which departs out of LAX. You can reach LAX via a number of 'express buses' that head there. One leaves from the Westwood neighborhood (which isn't shown on the map but it's right below the capital "E" in the word "WESTSIDE" on the map. The Westwood Flyaway Bus leaves every 30 or 60 minutes to LAX where the Disneyland Express bus leaves every 30 minutes.

One warning on the HoHo tour. It moves pretty slowly so if you plan to start your touring in an area other than downtown (where the train arrives), use public transit to get to those neighborhoods and start the HoHo there.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,529 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

Just to expand on what's said above - the HoHo tour has three main loops that are around two hours each - the purple loop from Hollywood to downtown, the Red loop in Hollywood and Beverly Hills, and then the Yellow loop in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. If you aren't interested in the Purple loop, the once you arrive on the train in downtown LA you can take the Red Line subway from Union Station to the Hollywood / Highland station, in about 30 minutes each way, which will save you at least one hour vs. doing the two hour purple loop to get to Hollywood and the Red Loop.

Also, the Orange and Green loops can be used together with the yellow loop as another way to reach LAX.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Union Station
Union Station
1,529 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Orange
Orange
Orange County, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,400 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

If you are going to Disneyland solo, I don't think you will need more than one day!

Another option from Anaheim is a tour bus that starts there, Starline has some:

www.starlinetours.com/anaheim-tours.asp

I'm not sure you're interested in one of those tours, though! I just thought it could be easier for a first time visitor, traveling alone, to take a bus that drops you at Hollywood and Highland rather than negotiating all of the steps mentioned above (to be fair, though, there aren't that many steps!).

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Starline Tours
Starline Tours
3,502 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood & Highland
Hollywood & Highland
375 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,803 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

If you took the train to Downtown LA, subway to Hollywood, you could see Grauman's Chinese Theater and a few other things, then head over to Beverly Hills on the HoHo bus, see the area and grab lunch, but I don't think you want to do too much beyond that. The commute up and back is probably 80-90 minutes each way.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,346 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
6. Re: Anaheim w/ bf for conference, what to do while he's working?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:18