We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farmers Markets in LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Farmers Markets in LA

Hello, we are coming to LA for 4 nights and i was researching on a website on farmers markets. We will only have time to go (if we would like to) on thursday and friday.

I read about these 2 markets, are they good? so far we have only gone to the Original Farmers market and love it there. We would like to get honey, tea, coffee, wine etc to bring back to singapore.

- THE REDONDO FARMER'S MARKET

- Venice Farmers market

The rest are either on saturday (we will be going to 6 flags) and sunday (we are moving off to Grand Canyon).

Thank you so much.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

Where are you staying in LA? For those things it's probably a much better idea to visit your local Trader Joes, Sprouts, or Whole Foods that sells the same things at a better quality and less expensive.

Dr. Z

Joshua Tree...
Level Contributor
852 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

Yes I agree with the previous post. If those are the items you are looking for then go to "Trader Joe's" or "Whole Foods"- they are located all over.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,938 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

The Venice farmer's market is quite small. It's also very early in the morning! If you are driving, it's not the most opportune time to travel as there are lots of commuters in a big hurry! However, if you are staying in or around Venice, check it out.

Redondo Beach might be too far to drive for a farmer's market unless you are staying in the South Bay, but I don't know if it a great one or not. Sometimes, the big ones are worth it, like the Santa Monica farmer's market downtown on Wednesdays.

From the LA Times, here are some on Thursdays and Fridays:

Thursdays

Century City: Constellation Boulevard and Avenue of the Stars, 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. www.ccfm.com (818) 591-8161.

El Segundo: Main Street between Holly and Pine avenues, 3 to 7 p.m. (310) 615-2649.

Glendale: 100 block of North Brand, between Wilson Avenue and Broadway Boulevard, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (818) 548-2005.

Glendora: 140 S. Glendora Ave., 5 to 9 p.m. May 1 through Aug. 28. www.glendorafarmersmarket.com. (626) 593-9254.

La Cienega: La Cienega Plaza, 1801 S. La Cienega Blvd., 3 to 7 p.m.; 3 to 7:30 p.m. during daylight savings. (EBT) (562) 495-1764.

Los Angeles (Downtown Arts District / Little Tokyo): City Hall South lawn between Main and Spring Sts., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (213) 814-7164. http://www.downtownfarmersmarket.org

Los Angeles (Chinatown): 727 N. Hill St., 2 to 6 p.m. www.chinatownla.com (213) 680-0243.

Redondo Beach: Adjacent to Veterans Park, 309 Esplanade at the pier, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. (310) 372-1171, Ext. 2252.

South Pasadena (Mission West): Meridian Avenue at Mission Street (Gold Line station), 4 to 8 p.m.; winter, 4 to 7 p.m. (626) 799-1327. …southpasadena.ca.us/about/farmersmarket.html

Westwood: Sepulveda Blvd at Constitution Ave (just north of Wilshire), noon to 6 p.m. (until sunset in winter), www.westwoodfarmersmarket.com (310) 861-8188.

Fridays

Echo Park: Parking lot No. 663 on Logan Street south of Sunset Boulevard, 3 to 7 p.m. (EBT) (323) 463-3171.

Hermosa Beach: Valley Drive between 8th and 10th streets, noon to 4 p.m. (310) 379-1488.

Los Angeles (downtown): 333 S. Hope St., 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (818) 591-8161.

Los Angeles (Eagle Rock): Merton and Caspar avenues, 5 to 9 p.m.

San Pedro: Old Town, Mesa and 6th streets, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (310) 832-7272.

Simi Valley: Simi Valley Town Center Mall, 1555 Simi Town Center Way, March through November, 3 to 8 p.m., (805) 643-6458.

Venice: Venice Way and Venice Boulevard, 7 to 11 a.m. www.venicefarmersmarket.com (310) 399-6690.

I respectfully disagree with our good friend, Dr. Z. The best, ripest produce will be from a farmer's market. Grocery store produce are varieties that ship well, not what tastes the best. No such worries from a farmer's market, where they are supposed to pick right before they truck the goods into the city for sale.

There are few bargains at farmers markets, I'll agree there, but fresh produce is something I'm willing to pay a premium for. The tomatoes and plums this year were beyond compare!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

Are you looking for "food", or what is known as a Swap Meet/Flea Market, when folks sell non-perishable goods and other things, which might be more suitable for things to bring back home?

Alas, most of the Swap Meets are held on weekends for locals, but there are some indoor ones open during the week...

Here is one in the China Town area, near the new Walmart Neighborhood Market that gets good reviews.

yelp.com/biz/…20Meets

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,082 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

I respectfully disagree with our good friend, Dr. Z. The best, ripest produce will be from a farmer's market. Grocery store produce are varieties that ship well, not what tastes the best. No such worries from a farmer's market, where they are supposed to pick right before they truck the goods into the city for sale.

---------

OP is looking for honey, tea, coffee and wine, not produce or fruit.

Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

Hello all, thank you so much for your valuable advice! And so quick!

i am staying at Garden Cottage B&B at west la.

I will probably visit whole foods as well - that is a good idea, have never been to one, we dont have them in singapore.

I am looking for things to bring home and also a little perhaps to eat on the way to Grand canyon (8 hours in the car..) so both are great! I will not buy produce though. But we want to take photos of them as well so both are good.

speaking of echo park, there are food trucks there too right?

thank you so much!

is there a cafe tht you would recommend we go to, on sunday before we go to grand canyon? i would like one that is near my b&b.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,938 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

This might help with food trucks: foodtruckmaps.com/la/…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,479 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

For honey, tea & coffee I think either Whole Foods or the Wednesday Farmer's Market in Santa Monica.

For wine if you can get to Total Wine in Redondo Beach, I think it is worth the effort. If not, a large Pavilions or Ralphs Supermarket is as good as anyplace else for wine selection and price.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,256 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

I wouldn't refer to the location of the Garden Cottage as "West LA" since that term is very general and means different things to different people. (The actual L.A. neighborhood that is called "West LA" is no where near the Garden Cottage). The easiest way to describe its location is to say that it's in the "Beverly Center area". The Beverly Center is a large shopping mall that everyone is acquainted with. Here's a map showing:

The Beverly Center (marked "A")

The Garden Cottage (marked "B")

and the closest Trader Joes (marked "C").

http://mapq.st/1bsVoH9

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Farmers Markets in LA

The South Pasadena farmer's market is on Thursday from 4-7 pm, and is a lot of fun. It's in a real small-town neighborhood, and is surrounded by restaurants and cafes. You might want to make a day of visiting the Pasadena area. You mentioned you aren't interested in architecture or museums (two things the Pasadena area is well known for...) but if you like gardens, the best and most famous gardens are located in San Marino, in the Pasadena area. The Huntington Gardens (the @ 1900 estate of a railroad magnate) is huge and gorgeous, with themed gardens such as Japanese, Chinese, Desert, Rose, etc. All should be gorgeous in December, except the rose garden. I think it is one of the best things to visit in the LA area. (It is also famous for its museum and research library, but you can spend hours just in the gardens.) Also, Old Pasadena is one of the most vibrant, fun and lively pedestrian shopping and dining areas in the LA area. A nice day would be: Huntington Gardens, followed by South Pasadena Farmers Market, with dinner near the market or a couple of miles away in Old Pasadena.

www.huntington.org

www.oldpasadena.org

http://southpasadenafarmersmarket.org/

(If you go to the farmer's market, you must get ice cream from the Carmela's truck. Best ice cream in LA!! Truly delicious.)

Edited: 15 October 2013, 18:46