We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Hello"

Would love some feedback on a 5-day trip in January with 2 adults and teenager. Still planning.

Fri - arrive 930am @ LAX. Rent car. 2 nights hotel at hotel Amarano or Loews Hollywood or ???

Warner brothers tour.

Hollywood walking stars, Chinese theater, etc.

Sat - museums, maybe another tour? Oh and the reason we are here to see the kings and ducks at dodger stadium!

Sun - magic mountain. 2 nights in Santa Monica either serafina or Loews or jw marriott?

Mon - beach day, Venice,

Tues. check out. UCLA tour with the freshman. Drive to Malibu. Head to airport.

Flight 7pm.

A friend suggested splitting up into two hotels given what we wanted to see. Does this make sense?

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Hockey is played at Staples Center in downtown LA or at Honda Center in Anaheim. The Dodgers play at Dodger stadium. Personally, I would not change hotels for only a 4 night stay. Also, Magic Mountain is in the opposite direction of Santa Monica so staying there after a full day at MM does not really make sense. I would pick something relatively central to all the sites you want to see and stay there for all 4 nights.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

I assume Jen is not aware of the special hockey game at Dodger Stadium. If that is your focus, I stay downtown for the convenience it sounds like you have a good budget. I wouldn't recommend staying in Hollywood unless you plan to hit the night clubs and have an affinity for wax museums. Most visitors see Hollywood in a couple of hours.

I think shifting to Santa Monica is a fine idea. Be aware Six Flaggs Magic Mountain is quite far away.

If you have the slightest interest in museums, a visit one morning to The Getty is an excellent idea. Other museums of interest are the Grammy Museum at LA Live in downtown and the California Science Center at Expo Park for the Space Shuttle.

Read the reviews for Venice Beach. With the medical marijuana scene, it is a great place to score some weed. But, it definitely attracts a rougher crowd. Nearby is Abbott Kinney Blvd which has great restaurants.

HTH

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Alas, Jennifer does not have the info in regards to hockey...

tripadvisor.com/…53533053

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

My mistake, I had no idea there is going to be an ice hockey game at a baseball stadium.

DB, your link does not pertain to the hockey game though.

My advice stays the same. Just pick a central location to stay, it seems like a lot of trouble to move hotels for such a short trip. Agree with HK to read the good and bad reviews of Venice and decide if that is really where you want to take your teen.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Loews Hollywood and Loews Santa Monica are both great hotels (as is JW Marriot, both SM's Merigot and downtown at LA Live). Pick one of those, and stay there four nights. Personally, I would prefer Santa Monica as a base, but I'm biased.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Sorry, for the bad link...

Here is the correct one...

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=684372

Hope to be there on January 25th. Got to see Soccer at Dodgers Stadium earlier this year. (First time ever). Even got a chance to talk to Drew Carey for a few minutes.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Just FYI, I suspect by "Serafina" you mean the Sheraton Delfina, which is a perfectly fine hotel, however personally I would prefer either the Loew's Santa Monica or the JW Marriott Santa Monica (Le Merigot) versus the Sheraton, as the others are both right on the beach and generally closer to the center of the scene in Santa Monica, whereas the Sheraton is inland a bit and a bit further away.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

Thanks for all of your feedback! magic mtn will only be open sat and sun and that's one thing the spawn wants to do :). I figured being north of downtown might help with traveling times up to the park, but I'll look into ge downtown options. Curious, does koreatown count as downtown and is that a desirable location?

Thanks for the heads up on the pot issue. While we are from Seattle and it's legal here, it's common for us to see it, but not necessarily what I want to do for vacation! Is there another beach location (besides S.M. That is better)?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

You might want to take a look at the South Bay beach cities of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach from north to south. I have lived in all three and my favorite is Manhattan, followed by Redondo, Hermosa has limited parking and the city makes a lot of their budget from parking tickets. When I lived in Manhattan Beach, our block had a block party every year the first weekend after Labor Day so very family friendly. It is always nice to visit the Pier there and watch the surfers and volleyball players, lots of shops and restaurants nearby. Worth a look anway. MB is closest to the freeways.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 day itinerary feedback for NHL stadium series

For what you want to do, no there is no better beach location and Santa Monica is wonderful. Unless you want to add about 45 minutes to your drive every day, look no further than the choices you've made already.