We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clueless - literally!!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Clueless - literally!!

Myself and a friend are planning on travelling to Los Angeles next year (August/September 2014) and we are both completely clueless as to what to do, where to stay etc.

We're two females, both 23 from Edinburgh, UK and we're looking to have a holiday that is both completely wild but one where we can relax!! We're going to be driving from San Francisco down the coast to LA and spending 5 nights there before heading home. Currently we're thinking of staying at the Palomar in Westwood for 3 nights then moving to the Standard Downtown LA for the last two. Are we right in thinking the Standard is nearer the action?

We need somewhere close enough to bars/clubs but at the same time we don't want to miss out on general touristy things like the Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame etc. We're planning on keeping our hire car for 2-3 days if it's worth it?

Any recommendations on places to go, places to stay, bars to try or just general info would be great as - like I said - we're completely clueless!!! I'm Edinburgh born an bred so would be happy to return the favour for anyone travelling over this way! Thanks!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clueless - literally!!

I'd definitely buy a California, or Southern California guidebook at this point, since you have time to contemplate all the choices you'll have. Try Amazon for a list of available titles on this subject. Something that is very detailed would probably serve you best.

The other immediate thing to do is check out the Top Questions on the upper right hand side of this page, on a NON mobile device. There are articles written by the forum destination experts that will answer many, many of your questions.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clueless - literally!!

It depends on your budget but...

Generally, the two big nightlife areas are Hollywood (big night clubs) and West Hollywood (smaller, more intimate nightlife venues), so if you want to be near the action those are the areas I'd stay.

Downtown LA does have some nightlife, mostly near Staples Center at the LA Live complex. The Standard is about a half mile from there. The Standard itself has a great rooftop bar but if you want to go bar / club hopping, it may feel a little isolated.

Wsetwood where you'll find the Palomar is an area where the businesses and the action basically is catering to students from UCLA which is next to Westwood. This area has its fair share of bars and restaurants but its oriented more towards the college crowd.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,058 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clueless - literally!!

Do look over the TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page. If you only have a tablet or 'smart phone' then the TOP QUESTIONS won't be visible. In that case, here's a link to similar content:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

L.A., like London, is quite spread out so it's helpful to have a good understanding of where the major neighborhoods are located with respect to one another. Our TOP QUESTIONS/FAQs area has a number if useful sections that explain what's available to do and see in each neighborhood. There are also recs for other resources to look at. One of these is a British Travel Guide known as DK Eyewitness Guide for Los Angeles. Great photos, maps and a 'top 10' list of attractions.

4. Re: Clueless - literally!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:18