We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

Hi we will be visiting LA in April 2014 and will be attending a basketball game while we are there. we are staying in Anaheim but thought since we would be spending a day at universal studios we might as well do that the day we are going to the game to cut down on travel between Anaheim and LA. Can anyone please give me some advise on the best way to get from Universal studios to the staples center. there will be 5 of us and we do not have a car. Would it be better to take the bus (if there is a route that suits) or should we just get a taxi, It is a tuesday night game starting at 7.30. thanks

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

Just take the subway from Universal Studios to downtown. The subway is at the bottom of the hill at Universal. Take it downtown to 7th & Metro. You can walk to the Staples Center from there. It is a few blocks.

HTH

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

thanks so much for the quick reply, that sounds like a very easy option. I was expecting it to be way more complicated haha

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

Once you are at the 7th St. Metro Center you can walk to Staples, a bit over 1/2 mile You also have the option to take the Blue or Expo Line light rail trains one stop from the Metro Center to the Pico station which is only a few hundred feet from Staples.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

OK, the best way would be a Limo without a rental car.

But that is costly..

The cheapest way is using public transit.

So that is taking the OCTA Bus, and I will presume you will be staying on/ear Harbor Blvd, so start with the OCTA Route 543 or 43 bus to the Fullerton Station, then take the Metrolink Commuter Train to Union Station (Downtown LA), then take the LA Metro Red Line to Universal City and catch the free Shuttle to the top of the Hilly and Universal Studios.

Then on the way back, take the LA Metro Red Line to the 7th Street Station and walk to Staples Center.

After the game, the Metrolink and Amtrak Stations will not be running, so your only option is the LA Metro Route 460 Bus from the Downtown LA area to Disneyland. It is a long and boring ride.

So I would opt for Public Transit for Universal and the basketball game. But arrange for a private Town Car/Van to get from Staples Center after the game. It mioght cost you about $100, but if you don't want to rent a car, that late at night (10 to 11 PM), I would want the driver and vehicle. And with a private hire, you can avoid the Taxi Wait Time Charges and meter fees, and get a fixed price agreed to in advance. (Of course, don't forget the tip.).

www.octa.net

www.metrolinktrains.com

www.metro.net

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

thanks Darkbeer for that great advise, we will be getting to universal by a tour bus so don't have to worry about public transport there. We had thought about a taxi back to Anaheim after the game but your suggestion about a private car sounds better, can you recommend any one in particular that is reliable and can transport 5 people

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

I am a local, so don't use them, but Karmel and Zippy Shuttles are frequently mentioned here at TA.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,954 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

Just to put everything in perspective, you're spending lots and lots of money to fly to the U.S., and to go to Disneyland, Universal and Staples Center. A door-to-door taxi from Universal to Staples Center would cost about $35 including tip (assuming you are transferring on a weekday since traffic will push the taxi fare up to $30 or so).

If you took the red line, it would cost $1.50 per person (=$7.50) and if you transferred to the Blue Line, it would be another $7.50. So, for an extra $20 to $27.50 more, you can be picked up at the entrance gates to Universal and taken directly to the entrance to Staples. The alternative (public transit option) includes the following steps:

a. Exiting Universal and queuing up for the free tram 'down the hill' to the metro rail station.

b. Descend to the ticket lobby and queue up to buy tickets for the red line (and blue line, if you want).

c. Descend another level to the tracks.

d. Wait for the train (runs every 12 minutes).

e. Ride it to Union Station (9 underground stops)

f. Do one of the following:

i. Ascend 1 level to the blue line platform and wait for the blue line train (runs every 12 minutes. Ride it 2 minutes to Pico Station, Walk to Staples (3-4 minutes). OR

ii. Ascend 3 levels to the street, walk south on Figueroa St to Staples (12 - 13 minutes).

Or you could pop for the $20 or $27.50 and take a taxi. Your choice!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

I see no need to transfer at 7th & Metro station to the Expo/Blue Line train. The schlep factor of changing trains fir a single stop and the additional fare and time is not worth it. The walk from 7th & Metro is much easier. Both Figueroa or Flower are good for this. It is not accurate to describe the walk from the Pico Station as a few hundred feet from Staples Center.

HTH

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

Another option for a private car is Uber.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,954 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from universal studios to the Staples center

My posting #7 has an error. You would take the red line train to 7th St/Metro Center Station not to Union Station.