We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Hi all!

We will be visiting L.A for four days in October next year. I will be visiting with my partner, We're both 21. We are thinking about staying in the Hilton Universal as our travel agent has advised on staying there. Also what will the weather be like in October? What are the musts while in L.A?

Any comments or ideas would be much appreciated. Best regards, Matt.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

The Universal Hilton is a nice hotel but is only really a good place to stay if the main purpose of your visit is to visit Universal Studios. Otherwise, not such a great place to stay.

If you let us know what your interests are and your budget, and whether or not you will have a car, we can recommend other places to stay.

Weather is October can be hot or chilly. Right now, it's 70's during the day, 80's inland, and mild at night. October can really be all over the place as it's the transition between summer and fall.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Take a look at our TOP QUESTIONS BOX at the right side of this page and learn about our massive metro area. Like London, our city is very spread out. You'll need a computer (not a handheld device) to see the TOP QUESTIONS BOX. Alternatively, here's a link to similar content:

Link and SCROLL DOWN for the content:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k506308…

Universal Hilton is near the top of a hill in Universal City which is north of the center of L.A. Without a car, you'll need to transfer down the hill to the metro station and then transfer 'into the city' on the red line metro rail. It's only a 5 minute ride but when you factor in waiting for the train and transferring into and out of the Universal City station, it could add another hour in return transfer time per day. If you plan to tour during the day, return to the hotel to 'freshen up' and then go out for the evening, you're looking at 2 hours return for the twice a day transfers between central L.A. and that Hilton.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,346 posts
6,001 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

We have stayed atUniversal - the problem is once you are done with the park activities, you are stuck. Its far easier to find a place in Hollywood; go to the park; they you will have evening activities when you return from the park. If you would like recommendations of where to stay in Hollywood, let us know type of place you like, price range, etc.

I would not recommend staying at Universal - we had a lovely view of the freeway from our hotel room (smile)....

The hotels are ok - aging - but ok, but its just not the place you want to be.....since you are staying the night.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 00:22
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Hey Mini, I had that same view from my office for years from the NBC/Universal tower. Nothing wrong with that view! I could check traffic for the drive home. LOL.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Generally it would be better to stay in Hollywood near Hollywood blvd. and Highland Ave. Its one stop away from Universal on the subway, but it can make a big difference - this area is a bit more central, and from a public transit standpoint its a bit better located. It also feels there like you are in the city instead of on a hill overlooking the city but isolated from it as you would be at the Hilton. I would ask your travel agent to look into the Loew's Hollywood or the Hollywood Roosevelt hotel which are both at this location and both are nice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Nice hotel, HORRIBLE location.

Without a car stay in Hollywood, Loew's, Redbury, Roosevelt or W Hollywood.

With a car stay in West Hollywood.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Standard advice around here is ditch the travel agent. Take a look at the FAQ's.

What is your nightly budget? I assume you'll be relying on public transit. Before selecting your hotel, you need to figure out your itinerary.

My hunch is based upon your age, Hollywood would work for you. Good access to public transit. Lots of night life. Plenty of hotel options.

Still, tell us something of your interests as a traveller.

HTH

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

Our main interests are really Rodeo Drive, seeing Hollywood and the walk of fame, Venice Beach boardwalk etc. If I'm totally honest we aren't too fussed about Universal studios. May visit it one of the days. It's all about budget for us, I've been told the closer you get to Beverly Hills the more you pay. We won't have a car, will it be too far away? Thanks for the help so far guys!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

If you're not even visiting Universal Studios, then it's a terrible place to stay. Ugh! Fire your travel agent! Let us know your budget and we can find you something else.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Universal good hotel or not?

On a budget, I would look at the Orchid Suites near Hollywood Suites.

www.orchidsuites.com