We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Spending Money

My boyfriend and I are travelling to the US in February 2014.

Just wanting to get other's ideas on how much spending money needed?

We are both 21 years old and it is our first time travelling there.

We are spending:

10 days in Los Angeles

2 days in Anaheim

4 days Las Vegas

All flights, accommodation and tickets have been paid for. incl. Disneyland park Hopper, Universal studios, hotel transfers, LA Lakers game tickets, 48 hour hopon/hop off bus tour

We want to go clubbing/out at least one-two nights in LA (Fri and Saturday probs) and Vegas on the Friday night.

And we do like to shop.

Eating wise I dont eat much but am a fussy eater

We are staying Downtown LA so I guess will have to cater for cab fares to Hollywood for the clubs.

I was planning between $6,500 - $7,200 to take?

Thoughts?

Thank you :)

Ash

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,491 posts
5,478 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money

You can also take metro from downtown LA to Hollywood -

would be faster and easier

http://www.metro.net/

Given 16 days that is about $450 per day (I used your higher number)

That should make for some really fun time....

about the only possible glitch I see is if you plan to do any sizeable gambling

or order bottle service in Las Vegas (very expensive for both)

You can go clubbing - but I would recommend staying away from any bottle service as it can easily end up as a $2000 night out.

Shopping can add on - but if you hit the diiscount outlets versus Rodeo Drive you should be in good shape.

Have a great time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Money

I've found that US restaurant food is a little cheaper to about the same as home, esp when the dollar is 90c+ like now. Reason I say the same is you need to factor tax and tip as part of the bill and these aren't normally listed on the menu. Likewise, food at Disneyland costs more, but not quite as much as Dreamworld or Seaworld on the Gold Coast!

Cheap fast food like McDonalds - which I'm guessing you'll try to avoid - is a little cheaper than Au.

Have a look at restaurant menus to give you an idea of cost, but I'm thinking you're budget should be fine. Our budget is just a tiny bit more, but we also have a child, but we'll have a kitchen for our time away.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money

We are doing the exact same trip as you in a month. Wondering the same question... have paid for all our tickets accom etc. From what I've heard and other's advice, im thinking around $5000 - $6000. Having at least $250 per day is reasonable for shoppers - me included. :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Money

Maybe I misread this whole post but why don't you use ATMs?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Money

Why are you taking cash? The best way is to take a credit card.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Money

You will find plenty to do in Downtown as well, and I find the bars/clubs to be better downtown than in Hollywood. But to get to Hollywood, take the Metro red line, it will save you time and the trains run till after 2:00 am on Friday/Saturday night. Where in Downtown are you staying?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Money

"Taking $xxx" is often used in Australia for spending money budgeted - this may be a combination of prepaid credit card, cash, regular on the credit card, etc.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 20:24
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,665 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending Money

Welcome to the forums ashoftheleigh,

On a side note You may want to post your whole itinerary here and post the various Hotels that likely your travel agent has put you in here on the forums or the specific City forums you are wanting to visit.

Unfortunately, we often have people who are put in a terrible location, or a poorly rated place to stay from Travel agents in your area who seem to know nothing about the area.

No reservations are usually set in stone and can be altered if needed, which may help you have a much better trip, just in case things are not set up well.

10 days in the LA area Imo is way too much. There are so many other fun areas to visit as well in Southern California. 5 days would be plenty of time for LA.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending Money

ElleBeingLA - Sorry I meant i was budgeting for between $6000 - $7000.

I am not going to take that in actual cash over with me.

I was going to just take a days or two worth of cash and then use ATMS once i am there.

:)

Staying at Bonaventure Hotel & Suites in Downtown LA

We looked at some places closer to Hollywood and Beverly hills but they were a bit more pricey.

Each area seemed to have its advantages.

I've kept a few 'spare" days on our intiniary so we can go back to places we want to re-visit or simply just chill.

That's why we are spending 10 days there.

Are there any clubs that anyone would recommend?

And I have heard some can be pretty strict both in LA and Vegas.

I thought of pre purchasing even tickets to certain club nights even.

We are really into EDM music (elctronic scene) and RnB/Hip Hop

The bottle service isnt something we are interested in but have read sometimes its almost a necessity to get in. But then again its not like it is just one big group of guys trying to get in. Its just me and my BF.

We aren't gamblers at all ...are more looking to go out and dance/have the time of our lives.

Thanks everyone :)

Ash

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending Money

The $6000 - $7000 was my personal buddget also just to clarify.

My boyfriend is saving his own money but a little less than me (more on the $6000 end)

Hoping the exchange rate climbs a bit more before Feb