We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International/domestic transfer

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
102 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
International/domestic transfer

We will be arriving into LAX at 6.40am from Brisbane on Qantas and then need to fly on to Salt Lake City. I am thinking that I will be exhausted and won't want to spend hours at LAX between flights and wondering if its much more hassle to go to an airport hotel for a few hours sleep and then fly on later. I am assuming that whichever way we go we will have to come through immigration etc and will then have to come back in through domestic security. Any comments?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,403 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International/domestic transfer

Check into a hotel (at around 8:00). Sleep 1/2 your normal time (about 4 hours). Get up at noon, take a taxi over to Manhattan Beach (10-15 minutes), have lunch, walk on the boardwalk, look at the shops and head back to the hotel around 15:30. Transfer to the airport for an early evening flight to Salt Lake City. Flights are less than 2 hours. Southwest.com has a departure around 18:00. You needn't be at the airport more than 75 minutes before departure.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,502 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International/domestic transfer

What is your overall plan on this trip ? Is it just LA and SLC ? Are you planning to spend more time in LA later ? No arguments about what HSJ said but IMHO, another option is to take a flight 3 hours later to SLC and be done with flying for sometime and get the Salt Lake part of your trip going . I presume you are planning to SKI if this is a winter trip (our winter )

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
883 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International/domestic transfer

I always like going as far as I can in succession (have done a few trips AKL>LAX/SFO>ORD>ROC, usually overnighting at ORD). After the long haul flight, the second leg was never to bad, even with the usual domestic flight experiences. I was normally pretty tired and would fall asleep quite quickly. The first time I travelled I stayed overnight in San Fran, but found the next day to be tougher than if I had just carried on.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International/domestic transfer

I would suggest flying straight to SLC. We fly from the Perth through Melbourne, LAX and then on to wherever our next destination is and while yes it is a lot of flying I prefer to get it all over and done with. We make it so our next flight is 2 to 3 hours after arriving into LAX and we have never had any issues with meeting the connecting flight. In fact we usually have an hour+ to spare even with the immigration wait, collecting suitcases, customs, dropping suitcases for domestic transfer, changing terminals and going through domestic security. Just my personal preference and perhaps something to consider.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 07:13
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International/domestic transfer

Cheers everyone.... I really can't sleep on flights and having MS I do get quite jaded so my thoughts were as per HSJ. My hubbie would rather power on-he's obviously forgotten what I am like tired! This is just the first step in a much longer trip in the US next Spring (not skiing). We are going to GTNP, Yellowstone, Little Bighorn, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Washington. New York and then Boston before relocating to the UK. We have been to the US several times before and been to LA on most of those trips at least for a day or two. I was just wondering if coming out of LAX and going back in was gonna be heaps more hassle but I am not sure it would be. The only extra is to/from hotel isn't it? I managed to find the Hilton has day rates for $89 which compared to buying a day pass for a lounge seems a bargain for a private bathroom/shower/bed/peace and quiet. Still undecided though and I have forgotten(or blanked out!) how bad LAX is.... Thanks for all your help....

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International/domestic transfer

The Travelodge has a day rate of $55. http://www.travelodgelax.com/

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
883 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International/domestic transfer

We had a dayroom at travelodge and it was good. Suited our needs well.

One thing to find out, if you spend the day at LAX or area, you will probably need to collect bags etc then go through the checkin process once you return to the airport. If you power through, depending on how your flights are ticketed, your luggage will be checked through and you will have a boarding pass, so should just need to go through security.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International/domestic transfer

Thanks guys!

9. Re: International/domestic transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:16