We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Los Angeles

Littleborough...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Los Angeles

As part of our West USA road-trip next May we are planning to spend 2-3 nights in LA. Would like to do some sightseeing-Hollywood Walk of Fame, maybe trip to see homes of stars & a bit of shopping but would also like some time to chill on the beach. Would love to have a swim in the sea (I know it will be chilly, but hey we're from the UK!), and lounge on the beach and maybe some cycling. We are not surfers. Which area would be best for us -we will have a car. Any recommendations for hotels will be appreciated, budget around $150-$200

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

$150-$200 is not going to be realistic to stay in a beach area unless you are willing to accept some very basic accommodation. With that budget, you'll probably need to stay further inland though you'll still be in driving distance to a beach. The best beach area of those that are relatively close to most of the other tourist attractions like Hollywood would be Santa Monica. I would check to see if you can get the Hilgard House hotel in Westwood for your budget, which would put you just outside of Santa Monica but also between Santa Monica and Hollywood and is generally a very central location for most tourist attractions. Otherwise, there are a large number of hotels in Hollywood that should be around your budget but Hollywood tends to be at the eastern edge of the area of the city where most tourist attractions are - hotels there that I'd check would be the Magic Castle Hotel, Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame, and the Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood. If those are too expensive, have a look at Orchid Suites, Hollywood Celebrity Hotel.

Note also in May, especially toward the later part of the month we get a weather pattern known as "May Gray" - basically in the morning low, grey clouds gather at the coast and can spread inland. The further inland, the earlier they go away but by the coast they can linger into the early afternoon - so it may not be sunny at the beach in the morning is the bottom line.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,323 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Because you'll have a car, you can stay in any neighborhood. I only recommend Hollywood for those without a car - it's not an area I like at all (very touristy). I suggest looking in West Hollywood, places like the Orlando and Elan, which should be in your price range.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

The benefit staying in the Hollywood area, as mentioned in post #1 is that some of the things you want to do, like the walk of fame is right there as in the depot for the Stars Homes Tour.. Just because you have a car, you don't need to use it all the time. Leave the car at the Hotel (and places like the Orchid Suites and Magic Castle Hotel offer parking for about $10 per night, fairly low for the area (you can find $40 and higher a night to park).

www.latourist.com/index.php…

Touristy is what many people visiting from out of town want, and why they are popular. It might be old hat to a local, but that is a different story. Since you want to do them, enjoy them. Maybe look at the GO Card for a discounted bundle.

smartdestinations.com/los-angeles-attraction…

Check out places like Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach or maybe a bit of a drive to "Surf City, USA" aka Huntington Beach as a place to enjoy the ocean. These are more casual beach cities than a location that is more urban.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

With a car I'd stay by the beach. Check the Sea View in Mnahattan Beach, maybe check rates at the Shore Hotel in Santa Monica. If you can't get the rates you want there, then look to the West Hollywood area around the Beverly Center. Check Petit Ermitage, Le Montrose Suite Hotel, The Orlando, The Elan, Chamberlain, Hotel Grafton and The Hotel Wilshire there.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

I agree with the LA experts, with a car, there is no reason to stay in Hollywood. It's an interesting place to check out for a day, but beyond that, it's annoying and not very interesting at all. Stay somewhere near the beach or West Hollywood for many more options of things to do, and just take a 1/2 day to visit Hollywood, which is all you need.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,222 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

I live in West Hollywood and always recommend the "Beverly Grove" area of Los Angeles which has been referenced above a number of times. (The Beverly Center Mall is there and sometimes the area is referred to as "West Hollywood" but it's just south of West Hollywood). Trip Advisor refers to the area as "Central Los Angeles". For a list of hotels in this area, click the link below and then click on the 'neighborhoods' drop-down menu (near the lower left corner of the page) and select "Central L.A.".

tripadvisor.com/…-1

The highest-rated hotels in this area include: Elan, Sofitel, Orlando and Farmers Daughter. If you want to 'pinch pennies', consider the 2-star Wilshire Crest or Park Plaza Lodge.

Littleborough...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Thanks for all the advice.

We had planned on booking the Beverly Hills Plaza. Looks lovely & seemed pretty good location in terms of sightseeing. With the cost of parking added on its a bit more than we initially planned but we thought it looked worth it. I've read the reviews -mixed, but then I found on a forum that it's not in the most ideal area, with few restaurants & shops in walking distance. Any advice on this area?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Have you looked at the Magic Castle Hotel and Orchid Suites reviews, both are highly rated here at TA and near lots of things within walking distance, including restaurants, shops and popular tourist attractions. (The Magic Castle is usually a bot more expensive than the Orchid Suites, but with the free breakfast and $10 parking, both should fit in your price range.)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d84502-R…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77270-R…

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

I agree, not the most convenient in terms of walkability. It's not actually in Beverly Hills, but sort of in between Beverly Hills and Westwood.

Look to the advice from our local expert, HopSkipJump, above and check out places like The Farmers Daughter, Elan and Orlando.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

The Beverly Hills Plaza is an okay place and a "central" location and the neighborhood is nice, but you'd have to drive almost every place. I'd stick with the hotels that Fitz, HSJ and I mentioned earlier in this thread.

There are reasons none of us recommended the Beverly Hills Plaza over the ones we did and why we suggested the places we did over Hollywood.

The areas around the Beverly Center are much nicer than Hollywood with better dining and shopping options. Did you check these hotels? Petit Ermitage, Le Montrose Suite Hotel, The Orlando, The Elan, Chamberlain, Hotel Grafton and The Hotel Wilshire?

The area around the Farmer's Market/The Grove is also nicer than Hollywood with better dining and shopping options. I'd check the Farmer's Daughter and be willing to pay a bit more than the Hollywood hotels or the Beverly Plaza and get more. There are sound reasons hotels charge more, it usually because they are better or in better areas or both.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 21:25