We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne town
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

Hi

Does anyone know what terminal Horizon Air /Alaska Air fly into from Mammoth Lakes CA?

That flight is due to arrive at 7.05pm on a Sunday night then have to get across to Tom Bradley Int Terminal 3 to catch a Virgin Australia flight to MEL at 10.30pm.

Will we have enough time, as I imagine we will have to collect bags, transfer, do customs and immigration and security etc.

Thanks in advance.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,258 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

You have plenty of time, yes. My concern is -- when is this flight? Weather in Mammoth can delay and sometimes cancel flights - if it's in the middle of winter, I would recommend flying on the day before, in case of weather.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,739 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

If your flight from Mammoth Lakes isn't late, you should have plenty of time.

No need to go through customs and immigration when you leave the US. Just when you're entering.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

Alaska/Horizon operate out of Terminal 6. I thought Tom Bradley was terminal1? Terminal 3 is a seperate, stand alone seperate from Tom Bradley. In any case, as ling as your flight from Mammoth is not delayed, you'll be fine. Chuck.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

No TBIT is not Terminal 1

It is TBIT.

There are terminal maps and lots of info on the www.lawa.org website

I would also be worried about delays in the flight from Mammoth and would recommend returning a day before the international flight.

melbourne town
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

Thanks all. I thought I might have struck it lucky as I saw on the LAX Maps that Alaska and Virgin operated out of T3. Then I read that Alaska has now moved into a new terminal renovation at T6. How long does it take to go from T6 to T3? I guess we take the shuttle bus.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

It would probably take less time to walk, since the shuttle will pick you up at T6, and then head to Terminals 7, 8, 1, 2 and 3 before finally arriving at TBIT. All depends on how much luggage you have as to whether or not you want to walk it. TBIT is right between T3 and T4, so walking from T6 back to TBIT would be easier, IMO.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 23:49
melbourne town
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

Virgin Australia operates out of Terminal 3, not TBIT as far as I can make out. Can anyone confirm this?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,258 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

It varies. You'll find out upon landing - or when you check in online.

Again, Mammoth flights can be cancelled and/or delayed because of weather. You're gambling, here, with the weather, not the amount of time between flights.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

You are correct, my mistake. Virgin Australia operates out of T3 along with Virgin America.

10. Re: transferring from Domestic to International at LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:16